Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Started by derspiess, April 04, 2012, 12:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Yes
31 (62%)
No
14 (28%)
Only Jaron
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Razgovory

Tell you what, try to get 300 illegals with no knowledge of spoken English to line up at a polling station and having them vote under names like George W. Bush, Barack Obama, and Bob Dole, and then that might indicate we have a problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 12:52:11 PM
Tell you what, try to get 300 illegals with no knowledge of spoken English to line up at a polling station and having them vote under names like George W. Bush, Barack Obama, and Bob Dole, and then that might indicate we have a problem.

That's more like it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

That is what you guys are afraid of right?  Illegal immigrants voting en masse against your interests?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 01:27:05 PM
That is what you guys are afraid of right?  Illegal immigrants voting en masse against your interests?

Yes, terribly.  Keeps us up at night.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2012, 01:33:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 01:27:05 PM

Yes, terribly.  Keeps us up at night.

Figures.  Go out and buy some more guns.  That ought to calm your nerves.

Siege

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2012, 01:51:30 PM
This requirement sounds fine in theory, but the devil may be in the details.  Given how Republicans are far more disproportionally motivated to enact such requirements, my guess is that there is a serious voter suppression effect at stake that's biased in one ideological direction.

Which is a good thing, or otherwise all the illegals would vote.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DGuller

Quote from: Siege on April 09, 2012, 03:32:07 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2012, 01:51:30 PM
This requirement sounds fine in theory, but the devil may be in the details.  Given how Republicans are far more disproportionally motivated to enact such requirements, my guess is that there is a serious voter suppression effect at stake that's biased in one ideological direction.

Which is a good thing, or otherwise all the illegals would vote.
Do you think your retardation schtick is amusing?  Serious question.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2012, 01:37:56 PM

Yes, it's fear that drives me to collect guns.  In fact, I sleep with a Mosin Nagant under my pillow.  Bayonet retracted, of course.

KRonn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 09, 2012, 12:22:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 06, 2012, 08:46:13 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 06, 2012, 05:35:47 PM
Is preventing vote fraud an important enough thing that it needs to be done even if you know a side effect will be a boost to the wrong party?

lulz

Nobody answered the question.  :P
I don't understand why it's a boost to one party or the other. I know that Dems feel it's a nasty thing, to require IDs to vote, but really, I just don't see the problem. States give the IDs for free, to avoid any kind of pol tax. And most people have some kind of ID anyway. Even the poor and minorities, who I assume are two groups Dems feel would be disadvantaged. They have driver's licenses, or other forms of IDs ,or if poor and collecting govt benefits they likely some ID. So they can use the same IDs to vote, or get the free IDs the govt provides.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2012, 03:48:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2012, 01:37:56 PM

Yes, it's fear that drives me to collect guns.  In fact, I sleep with a Mosin Nagant under my pillow.  Bayonet retracted, of course.

That is a HUGE pillow.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on April 09, 2012, 06:36:42 PM
I don't understand why it's a boost to one party or the other. I know that Dems feel it's a nasty thing, to require IDs to vote, but really, I just don't see the problem.
I mentioned earlier that a study's been done in Indiana.  Democrats and Independents are about 3-5% less likely to have a photo ID than Republican and certain groups, for example, African Americans are significantly less likely to have photo ID.  It's not a feeling Democrats have it's a fact.

I've said that I don't think the level of fraud justifies the extra hassle.  I certainly don't think it justifies the hassle and the cost of providing people with free, legitimate photo ID.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: KRonn on April 09, 2012, 06:36:42 PM
States give the IDs for free, to avoid any kind of pol tax. 

That's not true right now.  Currently, in at least some states, a state-issued non-driver's ID isn't free.

If you're going to require an ID to vote, I think that the first thing you'd have to do would be to issue them for free.

Quote from: Sheilbh
I've said that I don't think the level of fraud justifies the extra hassle.  I certainly don't think it justifies the hassle and the cost of providing people with free, legitimate photo ID.

I think that voting fraud is a bigger problem than a lot of people realize.  I just don't think this is going to do much to solve it, because I don't think that people showing up at the polling place and voting under an assumed name is the main way voting fraud is conducted (though I could be wrong about that).

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on April 10, 2012, 08:26:16 AM

I think that voting fraud is a bigger problem than a lot of people realize.  I just don't think this is going to do much to solve it, because I don't think that people showing up at the polling place and voting under an assumed name is the main way voting fraud is conducted (though I could be wrong about that).
Absolutely.  I've said there are studies that indicate this is minimal as a problem.  However I know there are problems with fraud in this country around postal and absentee ballots which need to be dealt with.  I imagine if there's any organised fraud in the US it'll probably be the same.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I suspect that voter fraud is much less of a problem then is often assumed considering how low the number charges and convictions have been made about it.  It makes a good excuse for why the election didn't go the way you wanted it to.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2012, 09:07:25 AM
I suspect that voter fraud is much less of a problem then is often assumed considering how low the number charges and convictions have been made about it.  It makes a good excuse for why the election didn't go the way you wanted it to.

That could be a sign that it's rare, or it could be a sign that it's easy to hide.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?