How are emails handled at your workplace?

Started by Syt, March 12, 2009, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: vinraith on March 13, 2009, 04:34:26 PM
What other spreadsheet programs have you used?

I can't speak for HVC, obviously, but I've used several different versions of Excel plus the spreadsheet program from OpenOffice (which is nice).
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2009, 12:18:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 11:28:01 AM
Seriously. I'd be super slow at my job if I didn't know many of them.

Let me put it this way: three people in our department know how to handle pivots in Excel. When wanting to freeze the header rows on a sheet most people choose "split screen" instead of freezing panes. Data functions or the difference between formatting numbers as text or leaving them as is are lost on most people. I will not talk about macros or functions, because no one uses them.

Bear in mind that were are the FINANCE department. Being able to create a when/if statement with three or more functions makes me practically a god among them when it comes to Excel.

Then again I notice again and again that I'm the only one regularly wondering when faced with repetitive, manual tasks if there's not a way of doing it easier or automatically.

Others mostly counter that they don't have time to bother with that and that the gain wouldnot be worth the effort.

Too true. I find myself using scripting a lot when using Excel, even if I'm just a newbie when it comes to Office products.
For example, due to a networking catastrophe in one of our solar farms, we currently have to shift through 115k lines of power plant production data each day to check they are valid, and correct them otherwise. If we had to do it the Monoriu way it would take the whole engineering department a week. Nothing else would get done.
So I wrote, in a couple hours, a simple macro that filters all that stuff in 20 minutes. The few lines left are dealt with by just one guy in a few more minutes.

As for mail, I don't receive that much since I don't deal with the economic side of the business. Most of my mail comes from my fellow mates at the department. From time to time I get some from clients. They prefer the immediacy of the phone when pestering us.

vinraith

Quote from: fahdiz on March 13, 2009, 04:44:40 PM
Quote from: vinraith on March 13, 2009, 04:34:26 PM
What other spreadsheet programs have you used?

I can't speak for HVC, obviously, but I've used several different versions of Excel plus the spreadsheet program from OpenOffice (which is nice).

I'm personally a fan of gnumeric. :wub: I also quite liked Origin, back when I had access to it. Then again, what I'm using spreadsheets for is something rather different than what your typical office worker is using them for, and tastes are bound to vary as a result. :)

Legbiter

Our family company receives about 10 non-penile related emails a day. I sometimes sweat that.  :-[
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

Quote from: Iormlund on March 13, 2009, 05:15:40 PM
As for mail, I don't receive that much since I don't deal with the economic side of the business. Most of my mail comes from my fellow mates at the department. From time to time I get some from clients. They prefer the immediacy of the phone when pestering us.

About 90% of our email traffic is in house, but we're spread throughout the world, so it's our main means of communication with other offices.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

saskganesh

Quote from: Malthus on March 13, 2009, 01:54:55 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on March 13, 2009, 01:53:17 PM
I received a vacation email from a  government employee once.

it went something like this:

" I will be on vacation from December16 to January 16 th. On my return, I will delete ALL emails. "

I thought he was a genius.

A month-long vacation ... I guess he *must* have been a gov't employee.  ;)

or a teacher. they get summers off.
humans were created in their own image

Ed Anger

Quote from: Legbiter on March 13, 2009, 10:37:58 PM
Our family company receives about 10 non-penile related emails a day. I sometimes sweat that.  :-[

:D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive