How are emails handled at your workplace?

Started by Syt, March 12, 2009, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

probably 70 or so work related emails a day. Most are me asking for transactions to be deleted so that i can put in the correct info (fuckers on the floor).
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

saskganesh

Quote from: Warspite on March 12, 2009, 02:46:36 PM
I've found that, at least in my workplace, you can tell a lot about the sender from their e-mail subject line:

Expletive laden, lower case (eg, 'slut fuck') = my Canadian boss

fuck you
humans were created in their own image

Monoriu

If there is an email that I absolutely need someone to respond, I give him/his secretary a call. 

Another tactic I often use is "I will assume that you have no objection to whatever I am proposing if I do not hear from you by xxxxx."  ;D

Syt

Quote from: Monoriu on March 13, 2009, 02:06:47 AM
If there is an email that I absolutely need someone to respond, I give him/his secretary a call.

That's something I try to avoid. Talking to someone who is in rural Eastern Europe on a cell phone reception and has a nearly unintelligeable Eastern accent on their English is an exercise in both futility and frustration. Reading their mangled English in their mails is bad enough.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Another thing that seriosly ticks me off:

Colleagues not knowing basic functions of new software (Office 2007, Outlook etc.). Most common reply when you tell them how to do something better or easier:
"Well, I don't have time to play around with the program to find where's what."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2009, 05:49:28 AM

Colleagues not knowing basic functions of new software (Office 2007, Outlook etc.). Most common reply when you tell them how to do something better or easier:

But I don't. In this age of new paradigms, and win-win situations, I have to maximize my time to ensure possibilities for the future.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I hope Siegebreaker molests your avatar.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Well, I have to say I don't bother with software stuff either, even though I am supposed to be in tech support.  99.9% of the functions in Word or Excel are useless/too complicated for me anyway.  No point to move beyond my comfort zone.  To me, software is just a tool.  My boss doesn't care if I know software or not.  He wants a document in front of him.  As long as I know the most basic Word stuff, that's good enough for me, and for him.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on March 13, 2009, 10:52:48 AM

Well, I have to say I don't bother with software stuff either, even though I am supposed to be in tech support.  99.9% of the functions in Word or Excel are useless/too complicated for me anyway.  No point to move beyond my comfort zone.  To me, software is just a tool.  My boss doesn't care if I know software or not.  He wants a document in front of him.  As long as I know the most basic Word stuff, that's good enough for me, and for him.

That's not true. About 60% of the functions in Excel or Word, if you knew them, would make your job much much easier.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

That's not true. About 60% of the functions in Excel or Word, if you knew them, would make your job much much easier.

Say, my boss writes on a page with his handwriting, gives the page to me and wants me to type it out for him.  I fail to see how any function in Word can help me.  Except maybe spellcheck, which I already use.

Or, immediately after the meeting, my boss says he wants the notes of the meeting in 60 minutes and not a second less.  During that 60 minutes, when I am pulling my hair off trying to figure out who said what, I am not going to be terribly receptive to suggestions about which combination of key strokes equals "paste".

Grallon

We use Lotus Notes.  Alll you need to do is create mailing rules that handle the traffic by transfering emails of certain types into pre-defined folders which you can empty from time to time.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grey Fox

Control + V or Shift + Insert.

Okay, maybe not for you.

But I like how, here, we have a test software that outputs all it's results in a neat excel sheets.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 13, 2009, 11:25:46 AM
Control + V or Shift + Insert.

Okay, maybe not for you.

But I like how, here, we have a test software that outputs all it's results in a neat excel sheets.

I go to the toolbar, find "edit", pull down the menu, and find whatever command I need.