How are emails handled at your workplace?

Started by Syt, March 12, 2009, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 13, 2009, 11:06:12 AM
That's not true. About 60% of the functions in Excel or Word, if you knew them, would make your job much much easier.

Seriously. I'd be super slow at my job if I didn't know many of them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Grallon on March 13, 2009, 11:25:41 AMAlll you need to do is create mailing rules that handle the traffic by transfering emails of certain types into pre-defined folders which you can empty from time to time.

I know, I do that for some categories of my incoming mails. Other than that I don't know anyone doing that, even though everyone has received a primer on those functions. I am also the only one using the calendar feature for anything other than meetings, and there's only very few using the Outlook to do list feature.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 11:28:01 AM
Seriously. I'd be super slow at my job if I didn't know many of them.

Let me put it this way: three people in our department know how to handle pivots in Excel. When wanting to freeze the header rows on a sheet most people choose "split screen" instead of freezing panes. Data functions or the difference between formatting numbers as text or leaving them as is are lost on most people. I will not talk about macros or functions, because no one uses them.

Bear in mind that were are the FINANCE department. Being able to create a when/if statement with three or more functions makes me practically a god among them when it comes to Excel.

Then again I notice again and again that I'm the only one regularly wondering when faced with repetitive, manual tasks if there's not a way of doing it easier or automatically.

Others mostly counter that they don't have time to bother with that and that the gain wouldnot be worth the effort.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2009, 12:18:16 PM
Let me put it this way: three people in our department know how to handle pivots in Excel. When wanting to freeze the header rows on a sheet most people choose "split screen" instead of freezing panes. Data functions or the difference between formatting numbers as text or leaving them as is are lost on most people. I will not talk about macros or functions, because no one uses them.

Bear in mind that were are the FINANCE department. Being able to create a when/if statement with three or more functions makes me practically a god among them when it comes to Excel.

Then again I notice again and again that I'm the only one regularly wondering when faced with repetitive, manual tasks if there's not a way of doing it easier or automatically.

Others mostly counter that they don't have time to bother with that and that the gain wouldnot be worth the effort.

How...sad. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 12:21:21 PM

Our analysts are a bit better (one is pretty sharp with Excel, but then again he's a PhD), but the accounting team is pretty hopeless and frustrating. I've reached the point where I let them fiddle with their stuff and do mine efficiently, using excess time to surf the net.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2009, 12:24:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 12:21:21 PM

Our analysts are a bit better (one is pretty sharp with Excel, but then again he's a PhD), but the accounting team is pretty hopeless and frustrating. I've reached the point where I let them fiddle with their stuff and do mine efficiently, using excess time to surf the net.

Excess time, that's what the others are afraid of. They are afraid that if they somehow come up with excess time it's either going to get them layed off or worse, more responsability.

For people like you & me, it just means we surf the web.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

When I was gone for a year to play in the sandbox, the emails kept coming in, 3k+ of them by the tme I came back, including a few hundred "You mailbox is over the size limit".  :D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on March 13, 2009, 01:32:18 PM
Excel is gods gift to office workers.

It sucks, though, when people use it only for writing lists, adding, substracting, and maybe multiplying.

Colleagues trying to reconcile Excel sheets or finding anything in them are usually helpless beyond the simple autofilter.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Let's not be absurd.  While Excel might shine brightly compared to much of the Office Suite, it is hardly the case that it doesn't have its flaws.

saskganesh

I received a vacation email from a  government employee once.

it went something like this:

" I will be on vacation from December16 to January 16 th. On my return, I will delete ALL emails. "

I thought he was a genius.
humans were created in their own image

Malthus

Quote from: saskganesh on March 13, 2009, 01:53:17 PM
I received a vacation email from a  government employee once.

it went something like this:

" I will be on vacation from December16 to January 16 th. On my return, I will delete ALL emails. "

I thought he was a genius.

A month-long vacation ... I guess he *must* have been a gov't employee.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 01:38:05 PM
Let's not be absurd.  While Excel might shine brightly compared to much of the Office Suite, it is hardly the case that it doesn't have its flaws.

Indeed.  Having said that, though, it's a damned useful tool.
and the horse you rode in on

vinraith

What other spreadsheet programs have you used?