And we're back!

Main Menu

Cell Phones: Quo vadis?

Started by CountDeMoney, April 03, 2012, 06:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on April 03, 2012, 07:02:10 AM
Dont own a c-phone. Cant help ya.

You're not alone, a friend's older son works, temporarily, in a cellphone call centre and he doesn't own a cell either; his peer group must think he's weird. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Pedrito

i'm using a Nokia E5, pretty good with the keyboard and whatnot, but my company is going to switch to Blackberry in a couple months.
Talk about timing.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Lucidor on April 03, 2012, 06:49:59 AM
Can't you just hang on to the old Blackberry and get a new SIM? Most places would forget you had an old phone if it's so old they can't issue it to someone without them complaining.

Nope;  actually, I'd turn in the phone and keep the SIM  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on April 03, 2012, 07:02:10 AM
Dont own a c-phone. Cant help ya.

Yeah, I'm still 50-50 on whether I need one, let alone whether I want one. I have all the toys I need, I suppose.

And then I'm thinking, well, if it's my personal phone, what would I use it for?  Less phone, not really much email, but more surfing out and about and stuff.  Substantially different than a work phone, which is constant email, more phone use, and then surfing in that order.

I suppose that kinda dictates what I'm looking for, then.

Lucidor

Ah, I see! If you are going to be surfing a lot and actually want a smartphone, I'd look into something with a large screen, like Samsung Galaxy S2, or perhaps the HTC One family.

A Samsung Galaxy Note is perhaps too big.

My 3,6 inch Desire is too small for good surfing but it fits in my jeans pocket.

Josephus

I hve a Galaxy 1. It's fine for my needs. Mostly texting and checking emails. Charge lasts around two days.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadBurgerMaker

Another Atrix 4G (Android) user here.  There's a new version out now, the Atrix 2.  They'll both be getting the latest Android update this year.

Quote from: Lucidor on April 03, 2012, 07:58:41 AM
A Samsung Galaxy Note is perhaps too big.

My wife said she was able to test one out at work the other day.  Said the screen and such was really damn nice, but, as you say, it's just too big.  Basically, it requires a Bluetooth headset unless you're cool with holding something the size of a shoebox to your face when you take a call.

CountDeMoney

Those Samsungs are indeed huge.

Anybody have any experience with the Motorola Droid 4, or the Razr Maxx, by chance?

Barrister

Money, if you actually like your Crackberry (I don't, personally) don't be afraid to buy one.  I'd stay away from buying their stock, but the phones themselves aren't going anywhere for the next several years.  They'll continue to be made, sold and serviced.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

Depending on the carrier, check out the T-Mobile G2 or the Sprint HTC Evo Shift.  Both have actual physical keyboards that slide out.

Make sure to check out a display model to see if the buttons are pressable, fat enough fingers and they are basically unusable.

Syt

I'm rather happy with my Nokia E7, precisely because of its slide out keyboard. The one major thing about it I hate: the touch screen is *VERY* susceptible to scratching. My old HTC wasn't half as touchy.

The E7 has quite a god battery life, though. I can check emails, write messages, phone for ca. an hour per day and only have to recharge every two or three days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

I'd say go for the iPhone. Yes it's for hipsters, yes apple sucks, but it's still the least painful smartphone to deal with.

There are a gazillion androids out there (I have one) and they're all a little different.

Personally, I find that iPhone has better apps and that they're more accessible and that it's less hassle. And that's the reason you get a smart phone, for the apps and the convenience.

frunk

Quote from: Jacob on April 03, 2012, 01:48:36 PM
I'd say go for the iPhone. Yes it's for hipsters, yes apple sucks, but it's still the least painful smartphone to deal with.

There are a gazillion androids out there (I have one) and they're all a little different.

Personally, I find that iPhone has better apps and that they're more accessible and that it's less hassle. And that's the reason you get a smart phone, for the apps and the convenience.

I'd be tempted by the iPhone but the lack of physical keyboard drives me nuts and reduces the accessibility significantly.  So an iPhone is always going to be a loser in that regard.