News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to ask a question

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 02, 2012, 02:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Following up on what Ed said, the big thing is to limit your risk as much as possible ie dont give all you own as collateral.  That is going to pretty much rule out the banks as funding sources.

Jacob

Oh yeah, I'm not putting my own shit on the line. No way. Maybe putting in a few grand here and there, but that's it.

There are basically two possible models:

1) Get a few people to work for free in return for a stake to get a minimum viable product to market, market it cheaply and hope it generates actual revenue for further expansion.
2) Same as 1) except that it's less focused on revenue and more on having an appealing product which combined with a good business case will attract venture capital. On the upside, there're a lot of people looking to get into the market I'm working in so it's not that long a shot (I have three separate leads for potential VC without even really looking for it at this point).

Right now my main "work for free" guy is out of the country for a few weeks, so I can work on a bunch of the rest of the stuff. Once I have something more coherent, I'll probably want to run it by you in person if you're amenable, since you know smart business people and stuff....

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 03, 2012, 07:13:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2012, 07:06:39 PM
Hire Raz.

I don't think a startup could survive the inevitable lawsuit when Raz maims one of his co-workers.

Employees who have had their noses bitten off will lack social lives and thus work harder.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2012, 11:59:00 AM
Following up on what Ed said, the big thing is to limit your risk as much as possible ie dont give all you own as collateral.  That is going to pretty much rule out the banks as funding sources.

Yes, yes it does.  The first thing the bank will do is insist on personal guarantees.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2012, 01:45:29 PMYes, yes it does.  The first thing the bank will do is insist on personal guarantees.

You don't start a company with bank money unless you're connected to the banking elite in a country with opaque regulations (i.e. China).