Woman goes to ER, kicked out for trespassing, dies in jail.

Started by jimmy olsen, April 02, 2012, 04:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2012, 11:12:38 AM
I noticed that Grumbler once again wishes to go down a semantic rabbit hole to avoid the idiocy of his first statments that this sort of thing could not be diagnosed by a emergency room physician because rather surprisingly emergency room physicians are not able to do so.  That sort of uniformed comment should be corrected.  Now that it has I can ignore the rest of Grumbler's foolishness.
I don't think anyone is confusing your rearrangement of my argument with my actual argument.  I don't blame you for trying to weasel out of your strawman arguments.  They were, as you yourself noted, foolish.  I agree with you that it is better for whatever remains of your cred that you slink away (or, as you reword your rout, "ignore the rest of" [my arguments]).  ;)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Btw, when I had to had tests run, my physicians just wrote a "prescription" of what I needed done and it was up to me to find a testing center. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2012, 07:59:41 PM
Ah, so being a mom is somehow unneutral.  Despite being accurate.  I suppose it's not accepted.  Perhaps the article should have been title "Human ceases to live".  I guess this is part of that "Liberal Media" conspiracy theory that I don't understand.

Okay, here's my journo friend's response.  I had simply asked him what he thought about the headline.

QuoteI think that's a bad headline -- what you have to weigh is the fact that she's a mother relevant to the story. In this case, it's not -- it's secondary or tertiary at best. I think they are using this to gain additional sympathy for the homeless woman. It sounds more tragic if she's a "mom" rather than a woman.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 04, 2012, 11:35:00 AM
Btw, when I had to had tests run, my physicians just wrote a "prescription" of what I needed done and it was up to me to find a testing center. :(

Yeah, exactly, any doctor with a pad can order a test if the doctor thinks the test is necessary to treat, for example, a patient in an emergency ward.  The issue on these facts is it seems apparent there was nothing to alert these doctors to the fact she was suffering from blood clots.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 11:39:20 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2012, 07:59:41 PM
Ah, so being a mom is somehow unneutral.  Despite being accurate.  I suppose it's not accepted.  Perhaps the article should have been title "Human ceases to live".  I guess this is part of that "Liberal Media" conspiracy theory that I don't understand.

Okay, here's my journo friend's response.  I had simply asked him what he thought about the headline.

QuoteI think that's a bad headline -- what you have to weigh is the fact that she's a mother relevant to the story. In this case, it's not -- it's secondary or tertiary at best. I think they are using this to gain additional sympathy for the homeless woman. It sounds more tragic if she's a "mom" rather than a woman.

I suppose it sounds more tragic if she's a woman as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

I agree with spiess and his friend... but I thought the reason for the 'mom' headline was pretty obvious from the beginning.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

It clearly means there are now homeless orphans you cretins!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Rule # 1 of journalism is you have to have a good guy and a bad guy.

I like the Spiderman pics Boner.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on April 04, 2012, 05:59:38 PM

The kids are living with Grandma. The court wouldn't let mom stay with them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 04, 2012, 06:03:32 PM

The kids are living with Grandma. The court wouldn't let mom stay with them.

you expect me to READ the thread?  :rolleyes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on April 04, 2012, 06:06:45 PM
you expect me to READ the thread?  :rolleyes:

If I expected that, why would I give you the Cliff Notes?  :huh:  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Neither Matt nor myself were ever homeless orphans!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points