News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Michael Savage Banned from the UK

Started by alfred russel, May 05, 2009, 10:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2009, 12:38:49 PM
I am not sure why they bother - talk radio is shit anyway, with an audience that is either braindead, insanely partisan and radical, or simply amused to listen to the former. None of these people are important for the Dems to preach to. Besides, they already have NPR for that anyway!

Yep.  Talk radio is only really entertaining when people are insane or talk about sports which makes normally rational people act insane.  I thought Yi said NPR was better these days after the Gingrich crowd reigned them in in the 90s.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2009, 12:44:28 PM
Why else do you think the Dems keep mentioning it?

The sad thing is the thing that usually puts the Republicans in power is the Dems own idiocy, not some imagined talk radio bogeyman.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2009, 11:26:31 AM
Well, I prefer the system we have here. Freedom of speech (like any other right) is not absolute, and we have had enough bad experiences with hate speech leading to atrocities in Europe, that we do not really want to protect it.
Understood that Poles are more likely to act on "hate speech," but the way around that is to introduce education on the topic, not attempt to sweep it under the rug through the implementation of thought crime legislation.

Much of Europe survives quite well without thought crime legislation.  They are more advanced and well-educated than Poland, granted, but I think Poland can, with their aid, leapfrog into at least the 20th Century within a generation, if they try to solve the problem and not just try to suppress the symptoms.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2009, 12:44:28 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 12, 2009, 12:21:33 PM
I don't really see a problem with the fairness doctrine, as it were. 

:x

QuoteIt's not 'banning' speech.

It can severely limit speech.  Why else do you think the Dems keep mentioning it?

Since the media is overwhelmingly liberal and out to get conservatives you'd think they'd be all for it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2009, 03:54:05 PM
Since the media is overwhelmingly liberal and out to get conservatives you'd think they'd be all for it.

Talk radio is still pretty right-wing.  You greedy liberals want to control that, too. 

Our god-king must not be criticized!!!! 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

It is funny (sad funny, not haha funny) that now that Obama is in power, Limbaugh has become even more powerful, apparently.

I am hoping he splits the party and drives the radical conservatives out, or the moderates out. Either way the radicals will end up marginalized.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 12, 2009, 12:21:33 PM
I don't really see a problem with the fairness doctrine, as it were.  It's not 'banning' speech.
Were they to propose a gag order, that would be censorship, and would be unacceptable.
I find that absolutely shocking.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2009, 12:51:38 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2009, 11:26:31 AM
Well, I prefer the system we have here. Freedom of speech (like any other right) is not absolute, and we have had enough bad experiences with hate speech leading to atrocities in Europe, that we do not really want to protect it.
Understood that Poles are more likely to act on "hate speech," but the way around that is to introduce education on the topic, not attempt to sweep it under the rug through the implementation of thought crime legislation.

Much of Europe survives quite well without thought crime legislation.  They are more advanced and well-educated than Poland, granted, but I think Poland can, with their aid, leapfrog into at least the 20th Century within a generation, if they try to solve the problem and not just try to suppress the symptoms.
I'm pretty sure most continental Europe countries have hate crimes legislation.

Anyway, I tried to debate with you rationally, without resorting to ad homs for once, and all I got in return was derision and insults. So I guess I won't bother in future.

MadImmortalMan

Harry Reid did a radio interview locally here not long ago and they asked him about the Fairness Doctrine. His response was something along the lines of: "Nobody serious is interested in reinstating it, and we have no intention of doing so. The whole issue is just a red herring being used to whip talk radio listeners into a frenzy."

He also stated that he did think it was a free speech issue and was totally against it no matter what other fringe-type Dems said.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 12, 2009, 04:22:05 PM
Harry Reid did a radio interview locally here not long ago and they asked him about the Fairness Doctrine. His response was something along the lines of: "Nobody serious is interested in reinstating it, and we have no intention of doing so. The whole issue is just a red herring being used to whip talk radio listeners into a frenzy."

He also stated that he did think it was a free speech issue and was totally against it no matter what other fringe-type Dems said.

That's great.  Just too bad Pelosi is among that "fringe".

Oh, and sorry to have to quote Wikipedia, but:

QuoteSupport

Some Democratic legislators, fearing conservative talk radio, have expressed interest in reinstituting the Fairness Doctrine,[19] although no one has introduced legislation to do so since 2005.

In June 2007, Senator Richard Durbin (D-Illinois) said, "It's time to reinstitute the Fairness Doctrine," [20] an opinion shared by his Democratic colleague, Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts.[21] However, according to Marin Cogan of The New Republic in late 2008:
"    Senator Durbin's press secretary says that Durbin has 'no plans, no language, no nothing. He was asked in a hallway last year, he gave his personal view' — that the American people were served well under the doctrine — 'and it's all been blown out of proportion.'[22]    "

On June 24, 2008, U.S. Representative Nancy Pelosi of San Francisco, California (who had been elected Speaker of the House in January 2007) told reporters that her fellow Democratic Representatives did not want to forbid reintroduction of the Fairness Doctrine, adding "the interest in my caucus is the reverse." When asked by John Gizzi of Human Events, "Do you personally support revival of the 'Fairness Doctrine?'", the Speaker replied "Yes." [23]

On October 22, 2008, Senator Jeff Bingaman (Democrat of New Mexico) told a conservative talk radio host in Albuquerque, New Mexico:
"    I would want this station and all stations to have to present a balanced perspective and different points of view. All I'm saying is that for many, many years we operated under a Fairness Doctrine in this country, and I think the country was well-served. I think the public discussion was at a higher level and more intelligent in those days than it has become since.[24]    "

On December 15, 2008, U.S. Representative Anna Eshoo (Democrat of California) told The Daily Post in Palo Alto, California that she thought it should also apply to cable and satellite broadcasters.
"    I'll work on bringing it back. I still believe in it. It should and will affect everyone.[25]    "

On February 4, 2009, Senator Debbie Stabenow (Democrat of Michigan) told radio host and WorldNetDaily columnist Bill Press, when asked whether it was time to bring back the Doctrine:
"    I think it's absolutely time to pass a standard. Now, whether it's called the Fairness Standard, whether it's called something else — I absolutely think it's time to be bringing accountability to the airwaves.    "

When Press asked if she would seek Senate hearings on such accountability in 2009, she replied:
"    I have already had some discussions with colleagues and, you know, I feel like that's gonna happen. Yep.[26]    "

A week later, on February 11, 2009, Senator Tom Harkin (Democrat of Iowa) told Press, "...we gotta get the Fairness Doctrine back in law again." Later in response to Press's assertion that "...they are just shutting down progressive talk from one city after another," Senator Harkin responded, "Exactly, and that's why we need the fair — that's why we need the Fairness Doctrine back." [27]

Former President Bill Clinton has also shown support for the Fairness Doctrine. During a February 13, 2009, appearance on the Mario Solis Marich radio show, Clinton said:
"    Well, you either ought to have the Fairness Doctrine or we ought to have more balance on the other side, because essentially there's always been a lot of big money to support the right wing talk shows.    "

Clinton cited the "blatant drumbeat" against the stimulus program from conservative talk radio, suggesting that it doesn't reflect economic reality.[28]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine

Reid should remind his colleagues in Washington that nobody is interested in reinstating it :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2009, 04:07:00 PM
It is funny (sad funny, not haha funny) that now that Obama is in power, Limbaugh has become even more powerful, apparently.

I am hoping he splits the party and drives the radical conservatives out, or the moderates out. Either way the radicals will end up marginalized.

How has he become more powerful?  He has become more visible beacause the president chose to direct critisisms of his opponents at him.  This hasn't made him more powerful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2009, 04:40:37 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2009, 04:07:00 PM

How has he become more powerful?  He has become more visible beacause the president chose to direct critisisms of his opponents at him.  This hasn't made him more powerful.
Of course it has.  The best thing that could have happened to talk radio was Bill Clinton getting elected president.  Before that they were well known but essentially irrelevent to most of the electorate.  Someone as adept as causing controversy and rumors as Bill made them powerhouses.  Obama could probably top that. 
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2009, 03:58:40 PM

Talk radio is still pretty right-wing.  You greedy liberals want to control that, too. 

Yeah, but wouldn't you stand to gain?  Anyway your God-King left office in January.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2009, 04:53:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2009, 03:58:40 PM

Yeah, but wouldn't you stand to gain?  Anyway your God-King left office in January.

The way Obama is going, we are in year nine of Bush II.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 12, 2009, 05:06:22 PM

The way Obama is going, we are in year nine of Bush II.

That should make the conservative's happy.  Every conservative is at heart at monarchist.