News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Michael Savage Banned from the UK

Started by alfred russel, May 05, 2009, 10:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2009, 10:56:26 AM

Yeah I heard some pretty ridiculously over the top racist and bigoted shit on his program.  He makes Neil's persona look tolerant.

But like Neil I think he just does it for the shock value.  That is his job as a shock jock after all.

I don't disagree, but then what standard are you going to apply? White people saying these things don't mean them and can come, while islamic people saying them can't?

Anyway, I'm sure Michael Savage is thrilled at being banned from the UK, and will probably be ranting and raving about it all week with great ratings.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2009, 10:02:41 AM
Huh?  What is this censorship crap?
How is this censorship?

That said, Jacqui Smith is the biggest embarrassment in the history of the Home Office.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

This sort of things been going for ages.  As I mentioned in the Phelps' thread Farrakhan's been banned from the UK since Willie Whitelaw was Home Secretary.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on May 05, 2009, 11:07:36 AM

Anyway, I'm sure Michael Savage is thrilled at being banned from the UK, and will probably be ranting and raving about it all week with great ratings.

This could single-handedly save his failing show.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2009, 11:37:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2009, 10:02:41 AM
Huh?  What is this censorship crap?
How is this censorship?

That said, Jacqui Smith is the biggest embarrassment in the history of the Home Office.
I know. Ocean's Eleven. :bleeding:

Martinus

Anyway, does it mean Neil is going to be banned from coming to the next Languish meet in the UK? :D

Richard Hakluyt

He is a hate-speaker, perhaps I should report him to Jacqui Smith, CdM too.........

Hell, half the people on Britain's least-wanted list could be Languishites, then we would get loads of new blood on the forum because of all the fame  :w00t:

C.C.R.

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 05, 2009, 02:48:23 PM
This sort of things been going for ages.  As I mentioned in the Phelps' thread Farrakhan's been banned from the UK since Willie Whitelaw was Home Secretary.

I wish that we could ban Farrakhan from the US...

:cry:

AnchorClanker

Quote from: alfred russel on May 05, 2009, 10:01:00 AM
:D Good for the UK. I wonder how they came up with Savage as one of the 22 most undesirable individuals, though.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/05/05/uk.ban.list/index.html

QuoteLONDON, England (CNN) -- White supremacists, Islamic clerics, a controversial Kansas pastor and a U.S. talk show host are on a list of 22 people banned from Britain for "stirring up hatred," the British government said Tuesday.

Jacqui Smith said she did not hesitate to name and shame those who foster extremist views.

Britain's Home Office said it decided to exclude the 22 in the last several months. That decision follows measures introduced by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith last year against people "who have engaged in spreading hate," the Home Office said.

The Home Office named only 16 of those on the list; it said it was not in the public interest to disclose the names of the other six. A spokeswoman declined to elaborate on why the Home Office would not publicly identify six of the 22.

One of the most recognized names on the list may be U.S. radio talk show host Michael Savage, who is listed under his real name, Michael Alan Wiener. The conservative's daily show can be heard nationwide in the United States.

They've been doing that lately.  The Dutch politician behind 'Fitna' was also banned, and it was a PR disaster.
PCism run amuck.  Free speech means exactly that, right up until someone calls for murder or treason.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Neil

QuoteJacqui Smith said she did not hesitate to name and shame those who foster extremist views.

QuoteA spokeswoman declined to elaborate on why the Home Office would not publicly identify six of the 22.

Yet more posturing from the worst Home Secretary in the history of the United Kingdom.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 05, 2009, 05:13:58 PM
Free speech means exactly that, right up until someone calls for murder or treason.

How horrible. :o :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Free speech is great up until someone yells "MOVIE!" in a crowded firehouse.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

Quote from: PDH on May 05, 2009, 06:50:45 PM
Free speech is great up until someone yells "MOVIE!" in a crowded firehouse.

I've done that, doesn't work :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.