Hitler has impeccable hair, advertises shampoo in Turkey

Started by Syt, March 28, 2012, 01:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2012, 08:04:44 PM
The department store? No.
The Furniture Store? Yes. They are headquartered in Columbus.

Oh, thank god.  Being forced by poor parents to shop at Value City might have had something to do with how much I was made fun of as a child.

I will forever associate that name with the tube socks with the color stripes that look like they were leftovers from the 70s.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2012, 08:04:44 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 28, 2012, 08:01:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2012, 07:53:58 PM
Value City furniture raped the memory of both Abe and Washington this year in their Presidents day sale TV ads.

Wait, Value City still exists?

The department store? No.
The Furniture Store? Yes. They are headquartered in Columbus.

We went to the furniture store when we were looking for a kid's bed a year or so ago and I was surprised by how high their prices were.  Granted, it wasn't during any particular big sale weekend, but still. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Slightly on topic, Top Trumps were insanely popular among us kids when I grew up (mostly tanks, warships, fighter planes, cars and trucks). I see one shop now has a version of it with dictators. I'm tempted to buy it.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I see there's already a second edition/expansion:

I1: Philippe Pétain
I2: Ante Pavelic
I3: Ion Antonescu
I4: Jozef Tiso
J1: Jorge Rafael Videla
J2: Georgios Papadopoulos
J3: José Efraín Ríos Montt
J4: Moussa Traoré
K1: Leonid Iljitsch Breschnew
K2: Erich Honecker
K3: Wojciech Jaruzelski
K4: Todor Schiwkow
L1: Alexander Lukaschenko
L2: Islom Karimov
L3: Saparmurat Atajewitsch Nijasow
L4: Nursultan Nasarbajew
M1: Juan Domingo Perón
M2: Josip Broz Tito
M3: Fidel Castro Ruz
M4: Muammar al-Gaddafi
N1: Rafael Leónidas Trujillo Molina
N2: Mohammed Siad Barre
N3: Ali Abdullah Saleh
N4: Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
O1: Enver Hoxha
O2: Kim Jong-il
O3: Than Shwe
O4: Isayas Afewerki
P1: Francois "Papa Doc" Duvalier
P2: Etienne Gnassingbé Eyadéma
P3: Robert Mugabe
P4: George W. Bush
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

The Kaiser wasn't a dictator.  What is Volkenmorder?  People killer?  Is that like genocide or something?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2012, 11:01:03 PM
I see there's already a second edition/expansion:

I1: Philippe Pétain
I2: Ante Pavelic
I3: Ion Antonescu
I4: Jozef Tiso
J1: Jorge Rafael Videla
J2: Georgios Papadopoulos
J3: José Efraín Ríos Montt
J4: Moussa Traoré
K1: Leonid Iljitsch Breschnew
K2: Erich Honecker
K3: Wojciech Jaruzelski
K4: Todor Schiwkow
L1: Alexander Lukaschenko
L2: Islom Karimov
L3: Saparmurat Atajewitsch Nijasow
L4: Nursultan Nasarbajew
M1: Juan Domingo Perón
M2: Josip Broz Tito
M3: Fidel Castro Ruz
M4: Muammar al-Gaddafi
N1: Rafael Leónidas Trujillo Molina
N2: Mohammed Siad Barre
N3: Ali Abdullah Saleh
N4: Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
O1: Enver Hoxha
O2: Kim Jong-il
O3: Than Shwe
O4: Isayas Afewerki
P1: Francois "Papa Doc" Duvalier
P2: Etienne Gnassingbé Eyadéma
P3: Robert Mugabe
P4: George W. Bush

Cute. <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2012, 11:02:46 PM
The Kaiser wasn't a dictator.  What is Volkenmorder?  People killer?  Is that like genocide or something?

Yes. Völkermord = Genocide. Whereas Völkerball = Dodge Ball.

The same company also has sets for Oil Tankers, Nuclear Power Plants, Epidemic Diseases and Drugs.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2012, 10:52:47 PM
Slightly on topic, Top Trumps were insanely popular among us kids when I grew up (mostly tanks, warships, fighter planes, cars and trucks). I see one shop now has a version of it with dictators. I'm tempted to buy it.

I'll start looking for them in Frankfurt  :)

KRonn

I wonder if Hitler isn't seen as the mass murdering monster of a horrific ideology in some cultures? I'm assuming they'd use him because they feel he'd be a good prop for their product.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: KRonn on March 30, 2012, 09:17:42 PM
I wonder if Hitler isn't seen as the mass murdering monster of a horrific ideology in some cultures? I'm assuming they'd use him because they feel he'd be a good prop for their product.

Why do you wonder? Hitler appears to be highly respected in most non-Western cultures.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Razgovory

I wonder if that's because he was fighting their colonial overlords.  Many of those countries in Asia don't feel the same way about Japan.

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 30, 2012, 05:39:23 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2012, 10:52:47 PM

I'll start looking for them in Frankfurt  :)

Found them in an online shop for 9.99 each. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Hitler has much awesomeness that is very tempting to tap into.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on March 28, 2012, 08:04:53 AM
If we are not allowed to draw pictures of Muhammed, they are not allowed to use our historical figures either!

Who are "we" and "they"?

I didn't realize Muhammed was a Turk, nor that Hitler was a Russian Finn. Or that Hitler is accorded the same respect in your part of the world as Muhammed is in Islam. You  learn new things every day it seems.