News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cash for Cameron Scandal Breaks

Started by Sheilbh, March 24, 2012, 07:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on March 30, 2012, 01:23:29 AM
But yes. Huzzah for the monarchy. Boo to revolutionary morons.

The idea of a monarchy here in the US makes me want to vomit.  Yet I have a soft spot for European monarchies, and think most of those that have vanished should be restored.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2012, 09:18:02 AM
Are you sure about this?  In Canada any Prime Minister is granted the honourific Right Honourable for life, as in the Right Honourable Kim Campbell.  Would it not be the same in the UK?
I thought the Right Honourable - which is on letterhead only - was because they're still in the Privy Council?  But being PM isn't like a knighthood, or a peerage, or sitting in high office in the US after which you're always referred to as Sir/Lord/Senator/President. 

Thinking that has just made me realise that Roland Burris will always be known as Senator Burris.

QuoteI thought they were offered a Peerage.
Not automatically.  Normally there's a few years and then they're made a Knight of the Garter, then I think they often get offered a peerage.  But I think a lot of that depends on the feelings of the government at the time.  But since the 70s it's only 50-50 getting a peerage. 

It's an odd trend but I think if you're a prominent Cabinet member you're more likely to get a peerage than if you're a PM.  Probably because troublesome ex-ministers can be quietly retired to the House of Lords, while a former PM in the House of Lords can cause a lot of problems for their successors in the party and in office, just look at Maggie.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I thought those who didn't get a peerage were ones who didn't want one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2012, 03:28:51 PM
I thought those who didn't get a peerage were ones who didn't want one.
I think that's true.  But I'm still not sure how automatic it is.  Callaghan and Wilson waited about a decade before becoming Lords, so did MacMillan.  I don't think Douglas-Home who was a Lord before becoming PM ever returned.  Maggie became a Baroness two years after leaving office.

It's not like the Italian President becomes a Senator for Life on retiring.  I don't think it's a purely automatic thing and it's still in the gift of the Queen (for Knights of the Garter) and the sitting PM (for Lords).  I think it's unlikely that the current government would offer Blair or Brown a peerage, maybe Major if he wants it.
Let's bomb Russia!