Wine 101

Started by Queequeg, March 27, 2012, 10:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2012, 07:25:22 PM
See if you can find this series on the interwho:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_and_James%27s_Big_Wine_Adventure

It should give you a basic guide.

As a small time winery owner(don't ask for the name, it is sekrit), the stuff in in the 10-20 dollar range is just as good as that expensive shit. Say no to indian gaming laws.

Does this include Charles Shaw?  :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2012, 08:13:15 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2012, 07:25:22 PM
See if you can find this series on the interwho:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_and_James%27s_Big_Wine_Adventure

It should give you a basic guide.

As a small time winery owner(don't ask for the name, it is sekrit), the stuff in in the 10-20 dollar range is just as good as that expensive shit. Say no to indian gaming laws.

Does this include Charles Shaw?  :P

The show people liked it. Well the car poof did.

Me, I'm not going to order two buck chuck if I have to drink wine. I'm not a fucking poor.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2012, 03:22:31 PM
As you're currently in the realm of the Grand Turk, I assume you have better access to European wines than American.  So start with Bordeaux.  Claret is what the British called Bordeaux historically so you have that connection.

I didn't know that.  Maybe I'd like Bordeaux.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

The export of Viennese white wines has increased tenfold over the past five years (esp. Wiener Gemischter Satz = Field Blend). One of the main destinations is New York.

Thanks, JR! :cheers:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2012, 02:05:17 PM
The export of Viennese white wines has increased tenfold over the past five years (esp. Wiener Gemischter Satz = Field Blend). One of the main destinations is New York.

Thanks, JR! :cheers:

I've never had a Viennese wine outside a heuringer, sorry. 
I'll stick to Wachau/Kamptal/Kremstal, thank you.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2012, 11:32:38 PM
I'd be more keen on trying that then Claret.  Claret to me suggests gout-ridden 18th Century two bottle clerics.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

I generally prefer Italian wine over French wine.  Montepulciano d'Abruzzo  :licklips:

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Buy Ohio Wines. They get you drunk.

Thanks!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2012, 03:40:08 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2012, 11:32:38 PM
I'd be more keen on trying that then Claret.  Claret to me suggests gout-ridden 18th Century two bottle clerics.

I sat next to a charming gay Bordelais at a bachelor party last weekend who said that after growing up there, he could only appreciate wine if it tasted "like a barnyard."  :unsure: :frog:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)