News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wine 101

Started by Queequeg, March 27, 2012, 10:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I recently replayed The Dark Eye, and upon playing The Cask of Amontillado, I went out and got a 20 dollar Amontillado by Lustau. 

I was blown away.  There was a hint of sweetness, but the nutty flavor was really, really great.  The alcohol added complexity to the flavor-something I find rare even in my favorite beer.

My palette is totally unsophisticated.  I drank a lot of wine in Turkey, but it being grown by Muslims, it was largely terrible, with the exception of some in Cappadocia-and I only knew that thanks to a more sophisticated British friend.  I realize that fortified wines are different from traditional wines (I actually know quite a bit about brandy, at least comparatively, amontillado reminded me more of brandy than any wine I am familiar with) , but what basic varieties of wine should I try out to try to find what I prefer?    Specific wineries?  Anyone  recommend any Amontillados? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Monoriu

I sense that you are about to acquire an expensive hobby.

Habbaku

Boone's Farm.  Arbor Mist.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

I love Amontillado merely because of the Poe reference.  :)

But seriously - port and fortified wines have NOTHING to do with regular wines.

Over a decade ago I took a "wine tasting course" from a local high-end wine store.  It was useful in that they gave you a small amount of a large number of varietals to try to give you some idea what you liked.  To this day I like purchasing Spanish reds because I like the taste of the tempranillo varietal.

Ultimately though you have to taste and buy what you like, not what others say is good.  Is you like Arbor Mist who is going to judge you?

(well I will, but really what does that matter?)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I actually do think amontillado is the best variety of sherry and I have tasted all of them.  Another fortified wine worth trying is Vin Santo, which IIRC is what Italians actually drink with biscotti, not coffee.  I've tried a few varieties of port, and madeira is on my list to try as well.  I only really like port served with dessert... it's too sweet for me to just sip, unlike sherry--though I think sherry goes best with nuts like cashews or pistachios.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Brazen

I seem to recall we hit a sherry bar on a Languish Paris meet. That was rather niche  :D Sorry, can't make any recommendations personally, I'm a red wine gal.

The Minsky Moment

Q - you already hit on the best large-scale Sherry house -  Lustau.  Why not follow up by trying other sherries in their range?  Also if you like fortified, you may want to try Madeira - Barbeito, D'Oliveira and Blandy's are good houses.  From dry to sweet, it goes Sercial, Verdelho, Boal, and Malmsey.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Drink lots of reasonably priced wines from different countries etc. FWIW I like South American wines.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I've recently developed a taste for the local Austrian whites esp. the dry Welschriesling or half-dry Grüner Veltliner. Decent quality wines start at around €4.00 here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

As you're currently in the realm of the Grand Turk, I assume you have better access to European wines than American.  So start with Bordeaux.  Claret is what the British called Bordeaux historically so you have that connection.  Move up and down the price/AOC range and see what you like.  Google AOC so you understand the rankings.  When (if) you come back stateside do the same with California cabernet sauvignon.  Then start your forays into other varietals/regions: Burgundy (don't be turned off by any prior experience with Gallo Hearty Burgundy), Australian shiraz, merlot, etc., etc.

What you should be looking for when you drink is complexity and duration.  Hints of subtle flavors, and flavors that last a long time on the tongue.

Queequeg

Anyone know of a way to get Chouchen in the United States?  Going to a gorgeous Breton girl's birthday party this month.  And I kind of want to try it anyway.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2012, 06:36:14 PM
Anyone know of a way to get Chouchen in the United States?

The girls down at the rub and tug will let you call them anything you want.

Ed Anger

See if you can find this series on the interwho:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_and_James%27s_Big_Wine_Adventure

It should give you a basic guide.

As a small time winery owner(don't ask for the name, it is sekrit), the stuff in in the 10-20 dollar range is just as good as that expensive shit. Say no to indian gaming laws.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2012, 07:25:22 PM
See if you can find this series on the interwho:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_and_James%27s_Big_Wine_Adventure

It should give you a basic guide.

As a small time winery owner(don't ask for the name, it is sekrit), the stuff in in the 10-20 dollar range is just as good as that expensive shit. Say no to indian gaming laws.

they have been showing it on BBC America as well
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son