News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Supreme Court & Obamacare

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2012, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Anyway, it's nice to know that random people in the crowd can be considered "Spokesman".  I'll be sure to use that as a future.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2012, 01:49:30 PM
If it is that is hilarious.  Congress looks like a bunch of morons again.

Win the presidency, the house with a big margin, and a filibuster proof majority in the senate? Forget any major reform ideas, what really matters is you don't have a majority on the USSC. It's like how Al Gore looked like a moron for trying to become president when 5 guys on the USSC were republicans.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2012, 03:22:47 PM
Anyway, it's nice to know that random people in the crowd can be considered "Spokesman".  I'll be sure to use that as a future.

It was a joke, Howdy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on March 27, 2012, 03:07:37 PM
I don't get the "legitimacy" thing you keep harping on.  I don't think I ever questioned the legitimacy of the 111th congress, nor of the Obama presidency.

Does that mean you have questioned the legitimacy of the 112th, which is the one we're currently on? :contract:
Experience bij!

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 27, 2012, 01:54:49 PM
So will it go in whole or just the mandate?

No mandate = an extremely screwed up law. The mandate is the lynchpin for a sizeable chunk of it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 27, 2012, 03:24:31 PM
I don't get the "legitimacy" thing you keep harping on.  I don't think I ever questioned the legitimacy of the 111th congress, nor of the Obama presidency.

Does that mean you have questioned the legitimacy of the 112th, which is the one we're currently on? :contract:

No.  I don't believe I've questioned the legitimacy of any Congress :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Eh, I don't even know where to stand on the mandate.  It seems kinda ham-fisted, but that might be my part-time, minimum-wage employment talking, since there's no way I could afford even an "affordable" healthcare package.
Experience bij!

Habbaku

I question the legitimacy of the 28th Congress.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: stjaba on March 27, 2012, 12:53:23 PM
Audio and transcript of today's argument are available at: http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_audio_detail.aspx?argument=11-398-Tuesday

Maybe it's the nature of SC oral arguments, but I'm a couple pages in and that Vermicelli dude sounds like a 7th grader.

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on March 27, 2012, 03:37:47 PM
I question the legitimacy of the 28th Congress.

Hey!  Best.  Congress.  Ever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2012, 04:09:55 PM
Maybe it's the nature of SC oral arguments, but I'm a couple pages in and that Vermicelli dude sounds like a 7th grader.

You go to the Supreme Court with the Solicitor-General you have.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Now I'm at page 15 and Ginsberg, Breyer, and Sotomayor are making Verrilli's arguments for him.

We had a link not too far back about some famous case in which the ineptitude of one of the solicitors was demonstrated by the sympathetic justices helping him make his arguments.

Is this my bias or does the transcript show Verrilli making a hash of things?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 27, 2012, 02:44:24 PM
No, just that some Congresses are more legitimate than others, i.e., ones that pass legislation you approve of, versus those that don't.

No, just "the congress that passed it, anyway"; "that" Congress, as opposed to, say, "this" Congress.  "That" President.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2012, 03:23:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2012, 01:49:30 PM
If it is that is hilarious.  Congress looks like a bunch of morons again.

Win the presidency, the house with a big margin, and a filibuster proof majority in the senate? Forget any major reform ideas, what really matters is you don't have a majority on the USSC. It's like how Al Gore looked like a moron for trying to become president when 5 guys on the USSC were republicans.

Reagan wins in the afterlife.