News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup Rumours in China

Started by Jacob, March 21, 2012, 11:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Of the 9 current members of the standing committee, 7 are due to step down later this year because they are over 67.  The two left will become party general-secretary and premier respectively (this was decided in the last party congress 5 years ago).  So there are lots of places for grabs. 

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2012, 10:57:16 AM
Well for you it's probably not. You get to watch dramatic things and human suffering on TV and feel good that it doesn't involve you or people you know or care about. So if that's all you care about, then a mess in China is probably a good thing for you.

Come on now, I don't enjoy watching human suffering.  I'm just saying that with the Chinese Communists being the bad guys, it might not be a bad thing to have bad guys fighting against bad guys.

QuoteGeopolitically, I suppose it depends on whether you think it's likely that the US is well positioned to take advantage of a mess in China, how severe the impact is on the world (and US) economy and to what degree you expect the US itself might get sucked into or stick in a detrimental mess.

I think there would be plenty of ways to profit from a big mess in China.  And I don't see any likely scenarios where the US gets sucked into it, not directly anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 11:20:18 AMCome on now, I don't enjoy watching human suffering.

Good to hear :hug:

QuoteI'm just saying that with the Chinese Communists being the bad guys, it might not be a bad thing to have bad guys fighting against bad guys.

If that happens, millions of people (tens or hundreds) will have their lives destroyed. If it's just the upper and middle echelons of the party fucking each other over, then that's pretty good, but usually ordinary people are the ones to bear the brunt of any chaos.

QuoteI think there would be plenty of ways to profit from a big mess in China.  And I don't see any likely scenarios where the US gets sucked into it, not directly anyway.

You see opportunities, not risks. Very entrepreneurial :bowler:

Admiral Yi

China has done a very good job of handling succession.

Neil

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 22, 2012, 09:16:37 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 08:44:44 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 21, 2012, 11:46:21 PM
That could get messy real fast if true.
Is that necessarily a bad thing?
Unless you've got a job lined up for me, yes, it is.  :mad:
I have a hard time feeling bad for you.  You're teaching Chinese people how to become spies and cybercriminals.  You're a bad person.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on March 22, 2012, 12:22:53 PMI have a hard time feeling bad for you.  You're teaching Chinese people how to become spies and cybercriminals.  You're a bad person.

You have a hard time feeling bad for anyone, except possibly dreadnought captains.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2012, 12:02:40 PM

This could be taken at face value or facetiously; I'm not sure which is meant.

The Zhao-Jiang succession was not particularly smooth.  The Jiang-Hu succession went smoothly from the perception of the outside world but there may have been a lot of infighting behind the scenes.  The present turnover is already looking a bit on the rocky side.  I also would question whether any method of government succession that systematically eliminates the input of the governed can be called "good" in any meaningful sense.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2012, 01:42:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2012, 12:02:40 PM

This could be taken at face value or facetiously; I'm not sure which is meant.

The Zhao-Jiang succession was not particularly smooth.  The Jiang-Hu succession went smoothly from the perception of the outside world but there may have been a lot of infighting behind the scenes.  The present turnover is already looking a bit on the rocky side.  I also would question whether any method of government succession that systematically eliminates the input of the governed can be called "good" in any meaningful sense.

Smoother then the Soviet method.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Both smoother than any other one party state has managed and smoother than the previous Chinese system.

Siege

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 11:20:18 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2012, 10:57:16 AM
Well for you it's probably not. You get to watch dramatic things and human suffering on TV and feel good that it doesn't involve you or people you know or care about. So if that's all you care about, then a mess in China is probably a good thing for you.

Come on now, I don't enjoy watching human suffering. 

I do. I want ALL muslims DEAD!!!!!!111111oneoneone

How do you like that, Jacob?
How does your bleeding heart feel about about my deep hatred for Islam???

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

It doesn't require a bleeding heart to be repulsed by demands for genocide.  In fact, what makes you different then those who want all Jews dead?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017