Trayvon Martin case: use of Stand Your Ground law or pursuit of a black teen?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2012, 11:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2012, 09:03:36 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 22, 2012, 08:59:15 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2012, 08:58:39 AM
He's certainly no Dos Equis guy, that's for sure.  Zimmerman?  No accent?  C'mon, man.  Some spic banged his grandmother, doesn't make him Hispanic.   Douche.

Just because you want him to be white for whatever reason doesn't make it so.  Mook.

*picture of Jersey Shore reject*

Also, the Dos Equis guy is a Jew from New York, you fuckin tool.

You people need to stop seeing race in everything.

Oh the Jairony.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

The US census bureau disagrees.  You can be both Hispanic and White.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 09:05:30 AM
The US census bureau disagrees.  You can be both Hispanic and White.

Yeah, there was some shit about that the last time the census did their thing. 

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 22, 2012, 09:11:24 AM
Yeah, there was some shit about that the last time the census did their thing. 

Well Hispanic is not a race (except when it is).  After all Dominicans are Hispanic and are mostly of African descent while Agentinians are Hispanic and are mostly of Euro descent.  Spaniards tend to make the census' head explode as well.  Are people from Hispania Hispanic *cue head explosions*?

But when people think Hispanic they tend to think of the Mestizos types but we cannot classify people that way so....
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2012, 09:18:49 AM
Well Hispanic is not a race (except when it is).  After all Dominicans are Hispanic and are mostly of African descent while Agentinians are Hispanic and are mostly of Euro descent.  Spaniards tend to make the census' head explode as well.  Are people from Hispania Hispanic *cue head explosions*?

But when people think Hispanic they tend to think of the Mestizos types but we cannot classify people that way so....

I know a lot of people who checked that "some other race" box and filled in whatever. 

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 22, 2012, 09:20:54 AM
I know a lot of people who checked that "some other race" box and filled in whatever. 

I think once you check off 'Hispanic' they just ignore the racial stuff and lump you in that catagory.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Rasputin

under the common law, one had a duty to retreat, if possible, before being allowed to use deadly force in self defense

despite the media hype and "legal experts" spouting off to advance their agendas, the only thing this law does is eliminate the common law duty to retreat.

under the common law victims of crime who used deadly force in self defense often found themselves on trial because some prosecutor claimed that the victim could have retreated instead of defend themselves

the law is good and regardless of what happened here changing the law because of a fringe case is bad policy

that being said, the sanford police (an orlando bedroom community) claim that zimmerman had a bloody nose and a cut on the back of his head providing contempoaraneous physical evidence that martin in fact attacked zimmerman before the shooting -- what possible motive does a cop have for not making an arrest absent a genuine belief that there is insufficient evidence that a crime occured?

there is a duty on the part of police and prosecutors to not charge people with crimes if it appears that the evidence will not be sufficient to establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt

that being said, let's let the mob justice and racial hysteria continue because its far easier for the media and hoi polloi to understand "dude with white sounding last name kills black kid and gets away with it = racism" than explaining why trillions of dollars in public debt to foreign sovereigns is threatenng to destroy all of  our grandchildren
Who is John Galt?

CountDeMoney

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2012, 09:18:49 AM

Wait, Portuguese people could be considered as Hispanic ?  :lol: Why not Hispanian if you want to use it in an Antiquity context ?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2012, 09:24:15 AM
I think once you check off 'Hispanic' they just ignore the racial stuff and lump you in that catagory.

Probably. 

I would be vaguely interested in seeing what people fill in in those boxes after they pick the last "other race" option.

derspiess

Quote from: Rasputin on March 22, 2012, 09:31:27 AM
under the common law, one had a duty to retreat, if possible, before being allowed to use deadly force in self defense

despite the media hype and "legal experts" spouting off to advance their agendas, the only thing this law does is eliminate the common law duty to retreat.

under the common law victims of crime who used deadly force in self defense often found themselves on trial because some prosecutor claimed that the victim could have retreated instead of defend themselves

the law is good and regardless of what happened here changing the law because of a fringe case is bad policy

that being said, the sanford police (an orlando bedroom community) claim that zimmerman had a bloody nose and a cut on the back of his head providing contempoaraneous physical evidence that martin in fact attacked zimmerman before the shooting -- what possible motive does a cop have for not making an arrest absent a genuine belief that there is insufficient evidence that a crime occured?

there is a duty on the part of police and prosecutors to not charge people with crimes if it appears that the evidence will not be sufficient to establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt

that being said, let's let the mob justice and racial hysteria continue because its far easier for the media and hoi polloi to understand "dude with white sounding last name kills black kid and gets away with it = racism" than explaining why trillions of dollars in public debt to foreign sovereigns is threatenng to destroy all of  our grandchildren

What troubles me is that it sounds like Zimmerman chased the kid down.  There's a difference between not retreating and actively pursuing.  Would the law still favor Zimmerman if he had pursued the kid?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 22, 2012, 09:36:57 AM
Wait, Portuguese people could be considered as Hispanic ? 

I believe so, according to some definitions.  I think it's a pretty silly designation for that & other reasons.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Rasputin

Who is John Galt?