2012 US Presidential Election Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2012, 12:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2012, 12:13:11 PM
Saw a Bloomberg poll that had Obama up 13%.  But it looked like it had a small sample size.

Currently Romney has a 4% lead in Rasmussen (which will become more relevant when we get closer to the election since it only polls likely voters) and a 2% lead in Gallup.

Race seems to be tightening up in most of the swing states.
And the economy is continuing to sputter. Obama needs to run out the clock before economic pessimism really starts to set in, not to mention any crises or scandals.

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on June 21, 2012, 04:28:37 PM
And the economy is continuing to sputter. Obama needs to run out the clock before economic pessimism really starts to set in, not to mention any crises or scandals.

What's puzzling to me is that Obama's campaign has been so sub-par to this early point.  I don't see him doing a whole lot to bring swing voters on board-- he just seems to be targeting small elements of his base. 

Maybe he was just more effective running as the new guy than he is as an incumbent.  I'm just not seeing any of that 2008 energy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2012, 05:56:26 PM
What's puzzling to me is that Obama's campaign has been so sub-par to this early point.  I don't see him doing a whole lot to bring swing voters on board-- he just seems to be targeting small elements of his base. 

Maybe he was just more effective running as the new guy than he is as an incumbent.  I'm just not seeing any of that 2008 energy.

He's picking off and locking up specific demographics, since the GOP is apparently satisfied with relying on the Angry-Old-White-Guy-Who-Hates-Niggers-Women-and-Unions bloc; the swings and independents will naturally fall into place with every Etch-a-Sketch moment from Mittens.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2012, 06:01:09 PM

He's picking off and locking up specific demographics, since the GOP is apparently satisfied with relying on the Angry-Old-White-Guy-Who-Hates-Niggers-Women-and-Unions bloc; the swings and independents will naturally fall into place with every Etch-a-Sketch moment from Mittens.

Which key demographic does he lock up by partying with SJP and Anna Wintour?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2012, 07:04:19 PM

Why, the pretty, fashion-conscious gays, of course.  He already got the butchy gays with the pro-gay marriage bit.  :P

derspiess

He's focusing on demographics he already has, but if you think it's good strategy then fine by me.

So would you say that as an Obama supporter you're happy with his campaign so far?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2012, 07:06:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2012, 07:04:19 PM

Why, the pretty, fashion-conscious gays, of course.  He already got the butchy gays with the pro-gay marriage bit.  :P

I don't think we're a key demographic. Most of us thing it nothing short of a disavowal of our faith not to vote for a democratic candidate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2012, 07:47:58 PM
I don't think we're a key demographic. Most of us thing it nothing short of a disavowal of our faith not to vote for a democratic candidate.

Well no; the self-loathing gay minority bloc isn't all that key.

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 19, 2012, 01:27:41 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on June 19, 2012, 01:15:26 AM
That's just the lighting and the gel. A closer look reveals greying. However, Romney's exercising and lack of smoking, drinking, and caffeine probably help.
:bleeding:  The man needs at least one redeeming vice.

Animal abuse is a vice, but I guess it isn't all that redeeming.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2012, 07:43:03 PM

He's focusing on demographics he already has, but if you think it's good strategy then fine by me.

So would you say that as an Obama supporter you're happy with his campaign so far?

Seems to me that Obama's campaign is in trouble actually, not gaining strength. Some Dem pundits like James Carville have expressed serious concerns on the direction of things. Yes, Pres Obama is targeting specific groups, many of whom he already has. But looking at the big picture things don't look so good.

He took on Bain and Romney. But high profile Dems Corey Booker, Bill Clinton and even Massachusetts Governor Patrick praised Bain, and some also praised the private equity firms for what they do. His attacks on Romney seem to have not gone so well for the most part, while Romney continues to hammer Obama on the economy and the administration's policies.

Economy is slowing, job picture worsening. Fed Reserve predicted 8% or more unemployment rate for the next many months, and an anemic economic growth.

War on women campaign seems cynical and needlessly divisive, and hasn't seemed to have gained him in the polls with women.

He's looked bad his last couple of speeches. His economic speech last week was nothing much, rambling, disconnected, and nothing new. He said the private sector is fine, but the govt sector needs more jobs. That fell very flat.

His signature health care may be in trouble, possibly is, but that will be another blow to him if the Surpreme Court decides against it.

More States are coming into contention, states that Pres Obama won in 2008 and which he expected much clearer sailing in.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2012, 07:43:03 PM

Sorta like the GOP with the women and Hispanics.  Why bother?  He sure as shit isn't going to get your whore pill ass to vote for him.  But locking up and energizing specific demographics will increase the chances they turn out for the vote, and in this toss-up, its going to be total turn out that's going to matter in the end.

QuoteSo would you say that as an Obama supporter you're happy with his campaign so far?

I'm happy with his strategy of not sitting still and going just as balls-out negative as Mittens and the SuperPACs.  Fuck that John Kerry I-Won't-Stoop-To-That-Level victimhood bullshit.  Every time he punches Mittens in his smarmy country club face over his outright bullshit lies gives me a big black Harvard Law Review boner.

Now, I completely understand how you'd prefer he just stand still and not do anything, taking the slings and arrows like some poor schmuck and watch his numbers drop, but that's not The Chicago Way.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2012, 08:19:43 PM
Every time he punches Mittens in his smarmy country club face over his outright bullshit lies gives me a big black Harvard Law Review boner.

Such as what? I haven't seen many effective attacks either way.

derspiess

Actually as a supporter of Willard, I hope Obama doesn't change a thing.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2012, 08:26:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2012, 08:19:43 PM
Every time he punches Mittens in his smarmy country club face over his outright bullshit lies gives me a big black Harvard Law Review boner.

Such as what? I haven't seen many effective attacks either way.

You probably don't watch your President's speeches.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2012, 08:26:54 PM
Actually as a supporter of Willard, I hope Obama doesn't change a thing.

Of course you don't.  That would run counter to your Angry-Old-White-Guy-Who-Hates-Niggers-Women-and-Unions sympathies.