News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Online bank wire transfers in your country

Started by Martinus, March 18, 2012, 08:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

What is the level of service of online wire bank transfers in your country?

I'm asking because I listened recently to a US-based show and the people there claimed that in order to transfer money between two bank accounts in two different US banks, they need to pay like $30 for the wire transfer and it still may be not possible depending on a bank. Is that true or are these guys completely out of it?

I mean in Poland it is pretty much a given that you can easily get a bank account with free wire transfers and full online access with no restrictions like that so I just found it weird.

CountDeMoney

Going to be tough to answer, as very few Americans here have any need to launder multiple deposits from foreign fucking countries.

Duque de Bragança

It varies among countries in Europe.
In Germany, it's very popular so it's free till 2000 euros (depending on the bank though), this includes transfers between eurozone countries (SEPA). In France you have to pay a small fee (3,25€ at the post office) or have it for free if you do it online.

Syt

American colleagues are constantly puzzled that in Europe/Middle East we do bank transfers, not cheque payments. Still, even they seem to be reluctant to send cheques for 5 digit sums to the likes of Russia, Ukraine or Lebanon.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

I think in Poland we just got the benefit of being backward since cheques never really caught up here - so we went straight from cash to online banking. Likewise, most of our payment cards have chips now.

It's similar to telephony - apparently an average Pole has 1.4 mobile phone.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 18, 2012, 09:04:58 AM
Going to be tough to answer, as very few Americans here have any need to launder multiple deposits from foreign fucking countries.

What do you mean? I pay all my bills by online wire transfers. I was talking about wire transfers within a single country. Are you drunk?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on March 18, 2012, 09:39:55 AM
I think in Poland we just got the benefit of being backward since cheques never really caught up here - so we went straight from cash to online banking. Likewise, most of our payment cards have chips now.

It's similar to telephony - apparently an average Pole has 1.4 mobile phone.

Is it coming for a Pole to be running around with 2/5 of a phone?  Or does it only work 2/5 of the time? :D

As far as chipped cards go, they go in and out of favor, since there are no real restrictions on NFC readers (hell, some phones have NFC sensors), and they can be easily modified to extract card from, say, a passing purse where the wallet is too close to the outside.
Experience bij!

The Brain

America has to be backwards because it's so big. Simply cannot be done any other way, I'm told.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on March 18, 2012, 09:41:48 AM

What do you mean? I pay all my bills by online wire transfers. I was talking about wire transfers within a single country. Are you drunk?

"Wire transfer" over here means shit like Western Union and international transfers.  You know, wire services.   Why don't you use the proper vernacular, like bank-to-bank transfers. 

Or, sorry.  Banque-to-banque.  Fucking faggity Europeans.

Zanza

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 18, 2012, 09:09:24 AMIn Germany, it's very popular so it's free till 2000 euros (depending on the bank though)
I don't think there are limits. Certainly not 2000 Euro.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 18, 2012, 11:27:03 AM

"Wire transfer" over here means shit like Western Union and international transfers.  You know, wire services.   Why don't you use the proper vernacular, like bank-to-bank transfers. 

:D

Yeah, I was wondering who uses wire transfers anymore.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2012, 11:33:51 AM
Yeah, I was wondering who uses wire transfers anymore.

I'm going to write a cheque to my banque for the foetus in queue.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 18, 2012, 11:27:03 AM

Marty also goes to the Aerodrome to catch a flight.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on March 18, 2012, 11:33:44 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 18, 2012, 09:09:24 AMIn Germany, it's very popular so it's free till 2000 euros (depending on the bank though)
I don't think there are limits. Certainly not 2000 Euro.

Depends on the bank and the kind of account you have. The free bank transfer for the basic bank account is free until 2000 euros at least for mine ;)