22 (66.7%)
No
2 (6.1%)
You should mount Jaron
9 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on March 01, 2010, 07:36:58 AM
Being ganked with an arrow isn't game over, you can continue pretty much indefinitely since you never die.
I must have done somethign wrong, then, because the next thing I knew, the game had restored an hours-old save.  I am not that familiar with the interface, so probably told it to do something without knowing it.

QuoteSome castle doors lead to places (usually the castle hall or dungeon), mostly just the exterior is used for siege battles.
No castle hall I have visited yet has any working doors, nor anyone in them except for a coupla guards who just say they cannot talk on duty.  Seems a total waste of time if those non-functional doors don't turn to functional doors at some point.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

@ DisturbedPervert

How realistic.  :lol:

But does the mod allow you to, er.... you know  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

I'm still downloading it so not sure how much it lets you do

Solmyr

Quote from: grumbler on March 01, 2010, 10:09:48 AM
No castle hall I have visited yet has any working doors, nor anyone in them except for a coupla guards who just say they cannot talk on duty.  Seems a total waste of time if those non-functional doors don't turn to functional doors at some point.

Ah, well, those don't lead anywhere. Castle interiors don't really do anything, though if a lord is in the castle he'll be there, and you also sometimes fight inside after taking the castle exterior.

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on March 01, 2010, 11:54:05 AM
...you also sometimes fight inside after taking the castle exterior.
I guess it makes sense to have a place ou have to capture to signal that you have taken the castle.

Thanks, it makes more sense now (though it is a bit disappointing - not much role playing in this RPG).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

The vanilla game isn't very deep.  Mostly just light party/fief management, with the 3-D sword/bow combat thrown in.

Some mods (such as Wedding Dance) throw in a lot more RPG-style elements...but the depth added is still quite superficial compared to any real RPG game.

Those doors in the castle will never open.  And doors in town only work with certain shops(which you can go to automatically anyway).  The only "openable" door, as stated, is the one to the castle dungeons...places you rarely ever need to visit.

Tonitrus

Back to horse steering real quick....

After playing for a bit today, one possible problem might be(and I may be wrong), for those not used to the controls, is that for precision, low-speed combat, steering, I find myself using the "S" key to decelerate while turning almost constantly.  Though this might not be intuitive for someone new to it.

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 01, 2010, 04:13:26 PM
Back to horse steering real quick....

After playing for a bit today, one possible problem might be(and I may be wrong), for those not used to the controls, is that for precision, low-speed combat, steering, I find myself using the "S" key to decelerate while turning almost constantly.  Though this might not be intuitive for someone new to it.
The problem isn't the key that is used.  The problem is that it is completely non-intuitive.  I spent a half-an-hour yesterday on the practice range for horsie combat and my best run-through ended as "that practice didn't go well at all."

I suppose I could really, really practice at it and get to the point where it wasn't a monumental pain in the ass, but I refuse to take that time for a game that isn't absolutely fabulous.  If I can play the game without using horsed combat, then I will play the game.  If I cannot, then I won't.  Thanks for the input, though.

Bayraktar!

Caliga

It took me a while to get the hang of, and I still only hit with my two handed axe on maybe 1/4 of my swings.  One difference is that due to being left handed (and needing my left hand for the mouse) I remap WASD to the arrow keys with any FPS style control scheme like this one.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Cerr

It probably won't solve your problem completely but IIRC upgrading your horse riding skill and getting better horses helps maneuverability.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Cerr on March 01, 2010, 05:57:17 PM
It probably won't solve your problem completely but IIRC upgrading your horse riding skill and getting better horses helps maneuverability.

In my experience, the only thing that really matters for horses is speed/armor/charge.

HisMajestyBOB

I've found it's easier to practice horse combat against looters and bandits, rather than at the practice range. I'm now very good at horse combat, but still suck at the practice area.

Knowing how close you need to be to hit someone when charging by, or how to maneuver in and out without getting hit, is just stuff that comes with practice.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Alcibiades

Yeah, I love having a good steed and long blade to swing at the peasant rabble.   :alberta:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DisturbedPervert

They seemed to have changed combat somewhat in Warband.  I can't hit anything with a sword on horseback, and I normally slaughter everything in my path.  This is playing skirmish against the computer too, not just online against humans where I expected to suck.

sbr

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 01, 2010, 09:21:58 PM
I've found it's easier to practice horse combat against looters and bandits, rather than at the practice range. I'm now very good at horse combat, but still suck at the practice area.

Knowing how close you need to be to hit someone when charging by, or how to maneuver in and out without getting hit, is just stuff that comes with practice.

Indeed.