News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Germans! Holiday advice

Started by Sheilbh, March 17, 2012, 06:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I'm planning a holiday this summer.  For a few reasons I'm thinking of going down the Rhine valley, I think to Basel but I may go on to the falls.  But I have to make sure it's cheap enough to be plausible.

So I was hoping you could help.

What's the coach network like in Germany and is it reasonably priced?  If not is Deutsche Bahn an affordable alternative for relatively close trips like, say, Cologne to Koblenz?

What's camping like in Germany?  Are there many places to stay and do you know what sort of prices they are?

Is it easy and cheap-ish to hire bikes?

Are there any national park style places on the way?

Edit:  Also tell me about this Rhine in Flames thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

DB, unless you book way in advance, is insanely expensive. Although for a brit it might not look so.  :P

Syt

I hate Rhinelanders and camping, so not much help here. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Most of the camps are further east.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PJL

Quote from: The Brain on March 17, 2012, 08:25:20 AM
Most of the camps are further east.

And they're quite concentrated too....

Zanza

There is no real coach network as it is not allowed to compete with the train network. Deutsche Bahn from Cologne to Koblenz is 18,10 Euro. Not sure if that's affordable or not in your eyes.

No idea about camping. I think there are plenty of camping sites, but I have no idea about the prices.

Should be fairly easy to hire bikes. You might want to look into something where you can drive down the Rhine for a couple of days and return your bike in another city. I know such offers exist.

The Middle Rhine valley itself is a world heritage site for its many beautiful castles, towns and the landscape itself.

Germany doesn't really have national parks like other countries. The few we have are nowhere near the Rhine Valley. As far as nice landscape goes, the Black Forest has some scenic spots and nice walks.

I've never been to Rhine in Flames, but it sure looks awesome on photos.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on March 17, 2012, 10:12:37 AM
There is no real coach network as it is not allowed to compete with the train network.

:wacko:

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on March 17, 2012, 10:12:37 AMGermany doesn't really have national parks like other countries. The few we have

Wattenmeer! :w00t: :wub:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on March 17, 2012, 10:24:32 AM
There is no real coach network as it is not allowed to compete with the train network.

:wacko:
Blame Hitler.

Really.

The Brain

citizen k

:huh: :hmm: :wacko:

Duque de Bragança

There is no real coach network as it is not allowed to compete with the train network. Deutsche Bahn from Cologne to Koblenz is 18,10 Euro. Not sure if that's affordable or not in your eyes.

Mein Gott, wie Frankreich!

Sheilbh

As for the train tickets, there are cheap tickets as long as you avoid IC/ICE (express or high-speed trains) and go by regional trains. Should be perfect for local trips. When going with 4 friends it's dirt cheap.

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/prices/germany/regional-offers-overview.shtml?dbkanal_007=L04_S02_D002_KIN0001_at7-regioangebote_LZ001

Executive summary

Quer durch land
From 42 (1people) to 66 euros (5 people)
Unlimited travel for a day

Schönes Wochenend Ticket
(Week-end validity only)
40 euros

Länder Tickets
( within a German State only except some minors like Saarland)
21 euros

All from 1 to 5 people

Zanza

There was talk last year about liberalizing the long-distance bus regualtions to allow for intercity busses. But I am not sure if that ever was passed as law.

Anyway, if Germans want to travel cheaply for longer distances, they use car sharing. There are plenty of internet sites for that.