News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Confusion - is the earth warming or cooling?

Started by crazy canuck, March 14, 2012, 01:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Strix on March 16, 2012, 11:53:35 AM
I suppose you can dismiss the entire scientific community? Yes, the same people claiming global warming were pretty much the same people claiming global cooling back in the 70's and 80's. They did a great flim-flam job which needs to be applauded. It will be interesting to see what new theory they come up with in the coming decade and what smoke and mirror show they will pull so that it all fits together nicely.

This just isn't true. A few scientists did notice that there had been a slight downward trend in global tempratures. This got picked up by the media who ran the global cooling stories but the bulk of the scientific community disagreed.

Strix

Quote from: Gups on March 16, 2012, 12:36:40 PM
I suppose you can dismiss the entire scientific community? Yes, the same people claiming global warming were pretty much the same people claiming global cooling back in the 70's and 80's. They did a great flim-flam job which needs to be applauded. It will be interesting to see what new theory they come up with in the coming decade and what smoke and mirror show they will pull so that it all fits together nicely.

This just isn't true. A few scientists did notice that there had been a slight downward trend in global tempratures. This got picked up by the media who ran the global cooling stories but the bulk of the scientific community disagreed.

I learned about global freezing in High School, so it was more than just "a few scientists".
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

mongers

Quote from: Strix on March 16, 2012, 01:08:09 PM

I learned about global freezing in High School, so it was more than just "a few scientists".

http://www.skepticalscience.com/ice-age-predictions-in-1970s.htm

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

What kind of high school did you attend?

While I heard of the theory of global cooling / new ice age in high school as well, it was definitely in the "past tense", as in "back in the 70s people worried about a new ice age, but now the evidence shows..." and I graduated high school in the distant past of 1992.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

In some places, they teach about Intelligent Design in high schools...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PDH

Perhaps the Earth Science classes at Saint Exxon's Academy weren't of the highest standards?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2012, 02:05:00 PM

Richard Bruce Cheney HS.

Razgovory

Well, I'll be damned.  That's pretty good evidence.  You learned in High School back in the 1970's.  That trumps any kind of scientific opinion in 2012.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Strix

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2012, 02:05:00 PM

While I heard of the theory of global cooling / new ice age in high school as well, it was definitely in the "past tense", as in "back in the 70s people worried about a new ice age, but now the evidence shows..." and I graduated high school in the distant past of 1992.

No one is saying that the Earth isn't getting warmer. So, I am not sure about your point. I was commenting on the fact that in the 70's/80's global cooling was the big thing (well, actually Nuclear Winter was the BIG THING but that had nothing to do with the climate prior to a nuclear war) and in the 90's/00's it was (is) global warming but now it appears that some scientists are bringing back the concept of global cooling again...

No one is arguing that climate change hasn't been happening. Just pointing out that the "experts" keep changing their theories. There is nothing wrong with that until people go all "religious zealot" over anyone suggesting that the current pet theory isn't the end all/be all of climate change.

I went to a High School in a small upstate New York city. The fact that they actually taught global cooling at all shows that is was a widely looked at and accepted idea at the time. That is according to the State officials who determined the texts and course matter, so don't shoot the messenger.

To me, "climate change" is like the "sweetner" debate. It swings back and forth with lots of science that doesn't prove anything i.e. Saccharine is better than sugar...no it will give you cancer...oh wait, it won't unless you eats 5 pounds a day and are a rat...oh nevermind, it leads to diabetes. You get the idea? Science has become the biggest flim-flam game around. It's easy to bewilder the minds of those like Raz with numbers, absolutes, and doomsday predictions but the science doesn't pan out...there is no end all/be all to climate change at this time.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Strix on March 16, 2012, 03:40:35 PM

No one is saying that the Earth isn't getting warmer.

I only got this far.  I found a major error in post at this point.  Please fix this error and repost.  Thank you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017