News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Confusion - is the earth warming or cooling?

Started by crazy canuck, March 14, 2012, 01:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Hans, aside there appears to be a significant scientific consensus that the Earth has been warming and that carbon emissions have something to do with that.

But I have recently heard interviews of what appear to be respected scientists (on the CBC no less) who hold the view that while all that is true we are probably going to experience global cooling over the next few decades because of something to do with the Sun and that the warming projections are likely wrong.

What is one to make of it all?

Here is the link to the podcast of CBC interviews I was talking about - the were from a segment on the "Ideas" show called "Demon Coal"

http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/ideas-from-cbc-radio-highlights/id151485663

derspiess

Whatever the case, we need to make sure there is never any climate change of any sort. Everything must remain exactly as it is.  Or else the earth may explode or something.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

St Ulfsten

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHqgdvXTxE&feature=plcp&context=C475635aVDvjVQa1PpcFNY7__pqUrM0itmSqS3pNpZIfjTKNpWhcI=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmECHrOcFlc&list=PLA4F0994AFB057BB8&index=11&feature=plpp_video

One of these two also has a video about how some scientists are saying we might see short term cooling (but long term warming) and how this had led the deniers to scream about how climate science is a hoax etc etc, but I can't find it now

derspiess

Quote from: St Ulfsten on March 14, 2012, 03:31:35 PM
One of these two also has a video about how some scientists are saying we might see short term cooling (but long term warming)

That sounds like a cute way to hedge your bets.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: St Ulfsten on March 14, 2012, 03:31:35 PMOne of these two also has a video about how some scientists are saying we might see short term cooling (but long term warming) and how this had led the deniers to scream about how climate science is a hoax etc etc, but I can't find it now

I wonder if you are thinking about this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2093264/Forget-global-warming--Cycle-25-need-worry-NASA-scientists-right-Thames-freezing-again.html

which says in part

QuoteShe argued it is becoming evident that factors other than CO2 play an important role in rising or falling warmth, such as the 60-year water temperature cycles in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.

'They have insufficiently been appreciated in terms of global climate,' said Prof Curry. When both oceans were cold in the past, such as from 1940 to 1970, the climate cooled. The Pacific cycle 'flipped' back from warm to cold mode in 2008 and the Atlantic is also thought likely to flip in the next few years .

Pal Brekke, senior adviser at the Norwegian Space Centre, said some scientists found the importance of water cycles difficult to accept, because doing so means admitting that the oceans – not CO2 – caused much of the global warming between 1970 and 1997.

The same goes for the impact of the sun – which was highly active for much of the 20th Century.
'Nature is about to carry out a very interesting experiment,' he said. 'Ten or 15 years from now, we will be able to determine much better whether the warming of the late 20th Century really was caused by man-made CO2, or by natural variability.'
Meanwhile, since the end of last year, world temperatures have fallen by more than half a degree, as the cold 'La Nina' effect has re-emerged in the South Pacific.

'We're now well into the second decade of the pause,' said Benny Peiser, director of the Global Warming Policy Foundation. 'If we don't see convincing evidence of global warming by 2015, it will start to become clear whether the models are bunk. And, if they are, the implications for some scientists could be very serious.'

garbon

Might as well just wait with a tub of popcorn then.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2012, 03:35:17 PM
One of these two also has a video about how some scientists are saying we might see short term cooling (but long term warming)

I wonder if you and other Republicans would be more receptive to arguments of global climate change if scientists thought there caused by public sector unions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

That makes sense.  My understanding is that the earth's temperature has been increasing.  That that's an observable fact.  But within that general warning there could be periods of cooling.

There's a dispute about what's causing it and, indeed, whether it's good or bad.  There's also a whole range of fair argument on what we do politically.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

In science, it's called a hypothesis based on observation and inference.
I understand you may find these concepts confusing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

People are still denying climate change? Pfff.....

IIRC doesn't the sun go through....12 (IIRC) year cycles?
The past two years have been in the pit of one.

If there is a greater cycle over the next few decades....then awesome. Lets us off the hook a little on warming and gives us time to make the switch over to renewables- a wise idea anyway, even without global warming.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2012, 07:27:39 PM

If there is a greater cycle over the next few decades....then awesome. Lets us off the hook a little on warming and gives us time to make the switch over to renewables- a wise idea anyway, even without global warming.

What we need is cold fusion :contract:

I don't even get this... People seriously believe that we can replace the insane amount of energy generated by various polluting power plants, with the use of giant windmills and solar panels?

Pedrito

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHqgdvXTxE&feature=plcp&context=C475635aVDvjVQa1PpcFNY7__pqUrM0itmSqS3pNpZIfjTKNpWhcI=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmECHrOcFlc&list=PLA4F0994AFB057BB8&index=11&feature=plpp_video

One of these two also has a video about how some scientists are saying we might see short term cooling (but long term warming) and how this had led the deniers to scream about how climate science is a hoax etc etc, but I can't find it now

But... Who the Fuck Are You?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 15, 2012, 03:02:12 AM

I don't even get this... People seriously believe that we can replace the insane amount of energy generated by various polluting power plants, with the use of giant windmills and solar panels?

No
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on March 15, 2012, 03:02:12 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2012, 07:27:39 PM

You could have just said we need magic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017