News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Confusion - is the earth warming or cooling?

Started by crazy canuck, March 14, 2012, 01:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on March 15, 2012, 04:05:30 AM
Heh. It will happen eventually.

So will the second coming.  Want to make bets on which happens first?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Well, good point. What would we do without establishedly impossible technical innovations? These truths are the very backbone of our society. Like, everyone knows nothing heavier than air can fly.

Strix

They are always going back and forth on the issue.

In the 80's we were supposed to be headed to the next ice age than came the 90's and we are headed to the gradual warming of the Earth until no life can exist. It would make sense that the pendulum is starting to swing back to cooling.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Eddie Teach

Depends which side of the equator you're on. In Canada, it should be warming right now.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Strix on March 15, 2012, 01:13:26 PM

In the 80's we were supposed to be headed to the next ice age than came the 90's and we are headed to the gradual warming of the Earth until no life can exist. It would make sense that the pendulum is starting to swing back to cooling.

That's nothing.  Back in the 1980's people were suggesting that you could connect to a worldwide network of computers by using a phone line.  By the 2000's that idea had been pretty much ditched in favor of using cable or DSL.  Perhaps the pendulum will swing back.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Josephus on March 15, 2012, 01:50:50 PM
What's a phone line?

I'm not sure, but I think it's the part of a phone that connects the receiver to the rotary thingy.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2012, 03:35:17 PM
Quote from: St Ulfsten on March 14, 2012, 03:31:35 PM
One of these two also has a video about how some scientists are saying we might see short term cooling (but long term warming)

That sounds like a cute way to hedge your bets.

Sounds like you need to stick to your day job.  :console:

viper37

there was never any serious science in the 80s, or even the 70s about global cooling.
Afaik, I've learned of global warming in the 80s, while in high school.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Strix

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2012, 01:33:22 PM

That's nothing.  Back in the 1980's people were suggesting that you could connect to a worldwide network of computers by using a phone line.  By the 2000's that idea had been pretty much ditched in favor of using cable or DSL.  Perhaps the pendulum will swing back.

Is that all you got?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Valmy

Quote from: Strix on March 16, 2012, 11:28:58 AMIs that all you got?

I was sort of thinking the same thing about you.  I am sure somebody is claiming that the next ice age is upon us and global warming will actually increase until we all burn up but somebody somewhere is claiming something.  I have not really heard this as being claimed by anybody credible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Why can't the Earth be doing both at the same time?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Strix

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2012, 11:33:03 AM
Quote from: Strix on March 16, 2012, 11:28:58 AMIs that all you got?

I was sort of thinking the same thing about you.  I am sure somebody is claiming that the next ice age is upon us and global warming will actually increase until we all burn up but somebody somewhere is claiming something.  I have not really heard this as being claimed by anybody credible.

I suppose you can dismiss the entire scientific community? Yes, the same people claiming global warming were pretty much the same people claiming global cooling back in the 70's and 80's. They did a great flim-flam job which needs to be applauded. It will be interesting to see what new theory they come up with in the coming decade and what smoke and mirror show they will pull so that it all fits together nicely.