'Lesbians are cool' T-shirt puts Massachusetts school in national spotlight

Started by jimmy olsen, March 12, 2012, 07:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2012, 10:30:35 AM
I think you have a wrong perspective, Valmy. School is not supposed to be that laissez-faire free market of ideas - the problem here is not that the school took action about something that it found offensive but that the school found a t-shirt like this offensive.

I think you have the wrong perspective.

It isn't that the school found the shirt to be offensive, but rather they found the shirt to be controversial - and they'd prefer less drama in the classroom.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 13, 2012, 02:15:15 PM
I think you have a wrong perspective, Valmy. School is not supposed to be that laissez-faire free market of ideas - the problem here is not that the school took action about something that it found offensive but that the school found a t-shirt like this offensive.

It isn't that the school found the shirt to be offensive, but rather they found the shirt to be controversial - and they'd prefer less drama in the classroom.

Yep.  The policy being enforced was apparently: "The school's dress code prohibits clothing that depicts weapons, drugs or alcohol, or anything considered disruptive".

That leaves open the question dispruptive to what.  The educational experience?  Dont see how that could be. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2012, 10:25:02 AMmy school they also banned all playing cards and came down hard on anybody with cards because, get this, a group of guys was found gambling on craps in the bathroom.  And a big deal was made about gambling in schools.
Disturbing, especially since craps is a dice game. Were these German exchange students?  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Gups on March 13, 2012, 11:08:53 AM
Do you  have school uniforms in the States?
Public schools with uniforms are quite rare. Private schools, especially catholic schools are known for them however.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2012, 09:43:01 PM
Public schools with uniforms are quite rare. Private schools, especially catholic schools are known for them however.

A few short years ago several public schools were experimenting with uniforms.  No clue if any kept them.  But some uniforms were as simple as a plain white shirt and black pants.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

I recall that San Antonio (or at least one public school district there) has uniforms.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2012, 09:43:01 PM
Public schools with uniforms are quite rare.

You haven't been to many big cities filled with negros lately.

Martinus

And the fact that they banned it on those grounds is exactly why they are retarded. Which is why I hope they get sued out of the wazoo.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2012, 06:29:25 AM

And the fact that they banned it on those grounds is exactly why they are retarded. Which is why I hope they get sued out of the wazoo.

And that's why you're broken and suspect as a lawyer.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2012, 06:37:05 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2012, 06:29:25 AM

And that's why you're broken and suspect as a lawyer.

I don't know. Massachusetts has had gay marriage for quite some time already, so this joke tee should hardly be controversial.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2012, 07:38:38 AM
I don't know. Massachusetts has had gay marriage for quite some time already, so this joke tee should hardly be controversial.

Meh, kids don't have the right to be controversial.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2012, 07:39:49 AM

Are sassy hot-topic t-shirts still controversial?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2012, 07:41:26 AM

Yes.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2012, 07:41:26 AM

Pretty much.

Look, if the kid came to school in a gay pride t-shirt I don't think anyone would blink an eye.  But yes, sassy and sexualized t-shirts I can understand being asked to not wear by school admin.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2012, 08:33:49 AM
Pretty much.

Look, if the kid came to school in a gay pride t-shirt I don't think anyone would blink an eye.  But yes, sassy and sexualized t-shirts I can understand being asked to not wear by school admin.

Hahaha. That's hardly "sexualized" compared to some of the outfits that girls get away with in schools these days.  I'm pretty sure that plenty of kids still wear sassy hot-topic shirts (as they certainly aren't for the older crowd) but I guess one can only get away with it if you stay away from the taboo subject of homosexuality.