'Lesbians are cool' T-shirt puts Massachusetts school in national spotlight

Started by jimmy olsen, March 12, 2012, 07:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2012, 08:58:19 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2012, 08:33:49 AM
Pretty much.

Look, if the kid came to school in a gay pride t-shirt I don't think anyone would blink an eye.  But yes, sassy and sexualized t-shirts I can understand being asked to not wear by school admin.

Hahaha. That's hardly "sexualized" compared to some of the outfits that girls get away with in schools these days.  I'm pretty sure that plenty of kids still wear sassy hot-topic shirts (as they certainly aren't for the older crowd) but I guess one can only get away with it if you stay away from the taboo subject of homosexuality.

I'll agree there's probably something of a disconnect.  A high school girl could probably get away with wearing a very low cut top, but if she wore a t-shirt that didn't show any cleavage whatsoever but merely said something sassy about boobs would probably be asked to change.  Or so I would imagine - I went to high school 20 years ago, and even then it was all-boys with a dress code.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

CountDeMoney

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2012, 07:39:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2012, 07:38:38 AM
I don't know. Massachusetts has had gay marriage for quite some time already, so this joke tee should hardly be controversial.

Meh, kids don't have the right to be controversial.
Agreed.  Get a uniform <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

I bet if she came to school wearing a t-shirt saying "Jesus loves you" she wouldn't be asked to change.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2012, 10:05:34 AM
I bet if she came to school wearing a t-shirt saying "Jesus loves you" she wouldn't be asked to change.

Nope.  But how is that different from, say, a Gay Pride t-shirt?

I bet if she wore a shirt implying non-Christians are going to hell she would be asked to change.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2012, 10:05:34 AM

Maybe.  Or maybe it would launch a big freaking deal over religion in schools.  I bet plenty of kids came to school with shirts that said similar stuff to hers in schools before and nothing happened.

In fact I can see it now 'we felt that shirt was offensive to our Jewish and Muslims kids so I asked the student to refrain from wearing Christian shirts' *cue Christians are persecuted shit storm*
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2012, 09:51:23 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2012, 07:39:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2012, 07:38:38 AM
I don't know. Massachusetts has had gay marriage for quite some time already, so this joke tee should hardly be controversial.

Meh, kids don't have the right to be controversial.
Agreed.  Get a uniform <_<

Gross.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

No one protested my "Too many Christians, too few lions shirt" but I didn't wear it often. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

I remember back in the mid 80's, we did have a kid in high school suspended for wearing the infamous Hitler World Tour concert T-shirt, but it was his fault. He was told not to wear it again, and there he was, showing up the next week in it.
That was some serious drama in 1986, man.

Tonitrus

A buddy of mine considered getting this tshirt...pretty much just to wear while working out at the gym on base, but decided that the likelyhood of some higher-ranking NCO or officer getting butt-hurt over it would be too high.  :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2012, 11:49:33 AM
I remember back in the mid 80's, we did have a kid in high school suspended for wearing the infamous Hitler World Tour concert T-shirt, but it was his fault. He was told not to wear it again, and there he was, showing up the next week in it.
That was some serious drama in 1986, man.

I want the Das Reich European tour shirt.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2012, 11:05:26 AM
No one protested my "Too many Christians, too few lions shirt" but I didn't wear it often. -_-

Was this in San Francisco?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017