'Lesbians are cool' T-shirt puts Massachusetts school in national spotlight

Started by jimmy olsen, March 12, 2012, 07:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2012, 08:21:57 AM
This is the sort of stupid shit that drove me nuts in school.

Lesbians drove you nuts or lesbians wearing shirts?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on March 13, 2012, 08:59:21 AM
Lesbians drove you nuts or lesbians wearing shirts?

How do you know the person wearing the shirt was a lesbian?  He/she might have just been a fan.

No stupid nonsense being made into big controversies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Life would be pretty dull if only important things became controversial.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Heck, this is Massachusetts. I'd assume the only controversial issue would be the kids NOT wearing a t-shirt like this.  ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 13, 2012, 09:13:01 AM

I guess if you find pointless assemblies and poorly thought out and unevenly enforced rules entertaining sure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2012, 09:42:02 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 13, 2012, 09:13:01 AM

I guess if you find pointless assemblies and poorly thought out and unevenly enforced rules entertaining sure.

You presume that there's no controversy if the school looks the other way. That's not always the case.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 13, 2012, 10:01:01 AM
You presume that there's no controversy if the school looks the other way. That's not always the case.

I fail to see how something annoying me means I presume anything.  It is probably just the nature of the beast.

Eddie Teach

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 13, 2012, 10:16:10 AM
I believe we are talking at cross-purposes.

I guess a good example, and there were similar things happening at least once a semester it seemed, was this incident where this one girl wrote this hilariously racist article in the school...um...newspaper...whatever the student publication was.  And so we all had to endure all this training and assemblies about combatting racism and it was on the news and all this ridiculous over the top stuff.  I mean it was this one girls problem, but the presumption was if one kid did it was this big serious school wide problem.  Now probably that is the right response for a big bureaucratic school district to make, and indeed probably the one they are capable of, but man it was tiresome.  As soon as one idiot did something stupid I knew we were all in for it.

Two years later some boy wrote a hilariously sexist article in the student publication and we got to do the whole thing all over again.  And of course it was likely in both cases the kids were doing it primarily to trigger this exact response from the adults.  Granted in this particular case the shirt wearer may not have been trolling and there was nothing that bad about her shirt but hey in my school they also banned all playing cards and came down hard on anybody with cards because, get this, a group of guys was found gambling on craps in the bathroom.  And a big deal was made about gambling in schools.

Martinus

I think you have a wrong perspective, Valmy. School is not supposed to be that laissez-faire free market of ideas - the problem here is not that the school took action about something that it found offensive but that the school found a t-shirt like this offensive.

Gups

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Gups on March 13, 2012, 11:08:53 AM
Do you  have school uniforms in the States?

That would be: OMG NAZI!!!!!!11111

So no. Frankly, I wouldn't really see a problem with it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

sbr

There are schools with uniforms but they are mostly private schools, of course there are public schools with unis but I think that is the exception.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2012, 10:25:02 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 13, 2012, 10:16:10 AM
I believe we are talking at cross-purposes.

I guess a good example, and there were similar things happening at least once a semester it seemed, was this incident where this one girl wrote this hilariously racist article in the school...um...newspaper...whatever the student publication was.  And so we all had to endure all this training and assemblies about combatting racism and it was on the news and all this ridiculous over the top stuff.  I mean it was this one girls problem, but the presumption was if one kid did it was this big serious school wide problem.  Now probably that is the right response for a big bureaucratic school district to make, and indeed probably the one they are capable of, but man it was tiresome.  As soon as one idiot did something stupid I knew we were all in for it.

Two years later some boy wrote a hilariously sexist article in the student publication and we got to do the whole thing all over again.  And of course it was likely in both cases the kids were doing it primarily to trigger this exact response from the adults.  Granted in this particular case the shirt wearer may not have been trolling and there was nothing that bad about her shirt but hey in my school they also banned all playing cards and came down hard on anybody with cards because, get this, a group of guys was found gambling on craps in the bathroom.  And a big deal was made about gambling in schools.

That's some bullshit.  I learned spades in high school.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)