News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

D&D 4th Ed. Character building

Started by Darth Wagtaros, May 04, 2009, 10:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I'll be occasionally participating in another game and was looking for input on what kind of character to play.  It will start at lvl 5 and anything is open, from any sourcebook, except that the Evil alignments are out.

I was thinking about maybe a Gnome warlord or a Drow Paladin of Kelemvor.  Despite the destructino of the Forgotten Realms I'd like to play some of the original races like the Gnomes.
PDH!

Jacob

Do you know what the other players are playing?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2009, 12:51:51 PM
Do you know what the other players are playing?

Yep, thats really the key.  Fourth edition needs groups put together as carefully as you would for a challenging MMO instance.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Whatever gives you the most pluses.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

I believe there is a warlock and a sword mage, and probably a bard, not sure about anybody else.
PDH!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Does it really matter?  No matter what, you'll be considered 'Artillery' or some such nonsense.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 04, 2009, 03:02:51 PM
I believe there is a warlock and a sword mage, and probably a bard, not sure about anybody else.

What the hell is a sword mage?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 04, 2009, 03:02:51 PMI believe there is a warlock and a sword mage, and probably a bard, not sure about anybody else.

Looks like you got the bases covered, pretty much, and can make whatever you want.

The new Invoker and Avenger classes both seem pretty cool in how they work, though I'm not usually into divine type characters.  That said, whenever I'm making a character for 4E I tend back towards the fighter.

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2009, 03:17:07 PM
What the hell is a sword mage?

Forgotten realms special.  There are some stats in the FR preview:
http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/rpga4_frpgpreview.zip

It's an Arcane Defender type.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on May 04, 2009, 03:14:53 PM
Does it really matter?  No matter what, you'll be considered 'Artillery' or some such nonsense.
Unfortunately. 

I just wanna kill things.  Wizards are teh suck now.  I just wanna be an elven multi-class fighter-magic user. 
PDH!

vinraith

So the basic evolution is that, in 3rd, they gut multi class characters and then, in 4th, they introduce a bunch of new character classes that are basically hybrids of existing classes? In other words, we're basically back where we started but with sillier class names?

Eochaid

I play a rogue halfling and am having  lot of fun with him. He usually gets behind people and stab them to death.

Kevin
It's been a while

ulmont

Quote from: vinraith on May 05, 2009, 01:29:51 AM
So the basic evolution is that, in 3rd, they gut multi class characters and then, in 4th, they introduce a bunch of new character classes that are basically hybrids of existing classes?

They already introduced the hybrids in 3rd later on, since they fucked up multi-class casters so bad.