News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Buffs to me

Started by crazy canuck, May 03, 2009, 07:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I am looking at the Toyota Camry hybrid (I don't fit in the Prius) and the Honda Civic hybrid (I dont fit in the new Honda hybrid model).

The Camry is sold as having unique technology that is superior to that of Honda but I until I get into some articles I really have no idea about any of this.  Do we have any resident experts?

All things being equal I am leaning toward the Camry simply because it gives more leg room.  It is about $10,000 more expensive but Honda does not offer a comparable model - they stopped making Accord Hybrids a couple years ago.

Your advice is as always appreciated.

Barrister

What I have generally read is that if you buy the more fuel-efficient regular model it comes very close to the fuel economy of the hybrid, with it costing a whole lot less and is a whole lot cheaper to repair down the road.

So take a look at the Camry with the 4cyl engine (and the Accord with 4cyl) and try and figure out how long it will take you before you equal the slight fuel economy savings.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

They stopped making the Accord hybrid as it was almost as efficient as the regular accord. :D

Also, while I like my honda civic, it seems to me that it would be a bit tight for a tall person.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

It's about Style & a Camry is better at it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2009, 08:27:08 PM
What I have generally read is that if you buy the more fuel-efficient regular model it comes very close to the fuel economy of the hybrid, with it costing a whole lot less and is a whole lot cheaper to repair down the road.

So take a look at the Camry with the 4cyl engine (and the Accord with 4cyl) and try and figure out how long it will take you before you equal the slight fuel economy savings.

Its a good point BB.  There is a government of BC program that reduces the PST by $2000 for hybrid vehicles so that helps close the gap.  But you are right I have to look at the fuel economy of the traditional vehicles more closely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on May 03, 2009, 08:39:54 PM
Also, while I like my honda civic, it seems to me that it would be a bit tight for a tall person.

Yep, plus my boys are only a few years away from being over 6' themselves so it would really be tight.

crazy canuck

I looked up the mileage for a normal Camry and a Hybrid.

city/highway/average litres/100 km (mpg)

Normal Camry 9.0 (31) / 6.1 (46) / 7.7 (37) 
Hybrid Camry 5.7 (50) / 5.7 (50) / 5.7 (50)

I thought hybrids were supposed to get better fuel consumption in the city because the would work on battery power more then fuel but apparently the Toyota hybrid engines are designed so that both the electric and gas motors are always working together rather then on kicking in and out.  The result is a really smooth ride compared to the Honda offering which noticeably clunks in and out of the gas motor.

In any event, BB it looks at first blush that the fuel savings - particularly in the city where this will be used most (by my wife - I will still be taking the bus  :goodboy:) makes it look that the better buy.

But I am very open to contrary opinions. 

Barrister

So do the math then.  Take the estimated miles driven per year, figure out the differing fuel costs, then compare to the difference in price between the two models.

Edit: also make sure those are figures for the 4cyl Camry, not the 6cyl.

crazy canuck

Good reminder.  I double checked I and was comparing the 4 cylinder with the hybrid.  Interestingly the Hybrid also has slightly more horsepower.

On a rough calculation we would save about $1000 bucks a year.  The price difference between the two is about 4 k and the warranties go beyond that four year period so it seems like a good deal.

Zanza

Get a diesel if you want fuel economy.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2009, 09:11:23 PM
Its a good point BB.  There is a government of BC program that reduces the PST by $2000 for hybrid vehicles so that helps close the gap.  But you are right I have to look at the fuel economy of the traditional vehicles more closely.
It also depends on whether you're mainly driving in the city or on the highway.  Hybrids can dramatically improve the efficiency of the city driving, because they overcome a lot of the inefficiencies from the stop-and-go driving.  On the highway, however, hybrids over little improvement, given the same level of performance.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 04, 2009, 12:13:57 AM
Get a diesel if you want fuel economy.
I'd get a hybrid for the city, and diesel for the highway, if fuel economy were the primary concern.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2009, 12:26:13 AM
It also depends on whether you're mainly driving in the city or on the highway.  Hybrids can dramatically improve the efficiency of the city driving, because they overcome a lot of the inefficiencies from the stop-and-go driving.  On the highway, however, hybrids over little improvement, given the same level of performance.

Of course, if highway = stop and go of rush hour, then that's much the same as city driving :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2009, 12:57:25 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2009, 12:26:13 AM

Of course, if highway = stop and go of rush hour, then that's much the same as city driving :D

That doesn't sound like any highway I know if. :goodboy:

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2009, 01:07:49 AM
That doesn't sound like any highway I know if. :goodboy:

Bypassing the typo...that's because you live in a sad, sad place....the kind of place that I wouldn't even wish upon my worst enemies. :(