DSB's Dirt Cheap PC Build

Started by DontSayBanana, February 26, 2012, 10:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Getting sick of having a bottom-of-the-barrel system, so I'm looking at building a mild-to-moderate gaming rig on the cheap.

Oddly enough, I've never run a cross-form-factor build.  Have any of you had any experience with getting a uATX mobo into an ATX case?  In theory, it should be backwards-compatible, but do and of you know if I should expect needing a mobo riser?
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 26, 2012, 10:36:45 AM
Getting sick of having a bottom-of-the-barrel system, so I'm looking at building a mild-to-moderate gaming rig on the cheap.

Oddly enough, I've never run a cross-form-factor build.  Have any of you had any experience with getting a uATX mobo into an ATX case?  In theory, it should be backwards-compatible, but do and of you know if I should expect needing a mobo riser?
I've moved a uATX mobo to an ATX case, without problems.  No reason to buy the uATX board unless space is a constraint, or for some reason price is lower, because the uATX boards can be hotter (with the closer spacing of components) and are generally harder to work with (due to the same factor). 

You probably will need risers (standoffs) but probably won't need a riser (riser board) because the uATX boards seem to have several PCI and PCI express slots.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Modified the title for appropriateness.  I love that Newegg has a distribution center in NJ.  I ordered the motherboard yesterday and already have it in my hand right now.

Here's the current spec I've got set up:

Case|APEX SK-393-C
Mobo|Biostar N68S3+
CPU|AMD Athlon II X3 460 Rana
RAM|8GB Kingston HyperX blu DDR3 1333
HDD|Undecided
CD-ROM|Undecided
PSU|Logisys PS-480D (480W)

Since I'm working with a budget board, I'm aware that there are going to have to be tweaks, such as disabling PowerNow to make sure my CPU isn't underclocked.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

I've got another question: I know a PCIE 2x16 card will run throttled in a PCIE 1.1x16.  Will it run in a PCIE x16 slot?  I'd like to put a nice heavy duty graphics card in it, and I'd be okay with a little bit of bandwidth throttling.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 28, 2012, 01:35:27 PM
Modified the title for appropriateness.  I love that Newegg has a distribution center in NJ.  I ordered the motherboard yesterday and already have it in my hand right now.

Here's the current spec I've got set up:

Case|APEX SK-393-C
Mobo|Biostar N68S3+
CPU|AMD Athlon II X3 460 Rana
RAM|8GB Kingston HyperX blu DDR3 1333
HDD|Undecided
CD-ROM|Undecided
PSU|Logisys PS-480D (480W)

Since I'm working with a budget board, I'm aware that there are going to have to be tweaks, such as disabling PowerNow to make sure my CPU isn't underclocked.
I would try this kind of hardware:
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=66666  (AMD A6-3670)
It's AMD's new CPU&GPU integrated on one chip.
With a board like this one:
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=62378&vpn=GA-A75M-S2V&manufacture=Gigabyte

So you got half the computer for 219$.  You'd actually have decent gaming on this rig, compared to the Athlon II wich will be your bottleneck.

This hard drive for 130$:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=62047&vpn=WD20EARX&manufacture=Western%20Digital%20WD&promoid=1078
But you could save 30$ by going with SATA 2 640gb.

Try the OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W for Power Supply, it's only 40$ on NCIX.  I have more faith in that than the one you chose.

Forget the CD-ROM, go for DVD burner, it's 20-25$.

So, 384$ without RAM.  Ram is about 50$ for 8gb.  Try Mushkin basic line.  Decent ram, decent price.
Well below 500$.

Check NCIXUSA.com if Newegg limits you on your choices :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on February 29, 2012, 05:51:46 PM
I would try this kind of hardware:
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=66666  (AMD A6-3670)
It's AMD's new CPU&GPU integrated on one chip.
With a board like this one:
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=62378&vpn=GA-A75M-S2V&manufacture=Gigabyte

So you got half the computer for 219$.  You'd actually have decent gaming on this rig, compared to the Athlon II wich will be your bottleneck.

This hard drive for 130$:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=62047&vpn=WD20EARX&manufacture=Western%20Digital%20WD&promoid=1078
But you could save 30$ by going with SATA 2 640gb.

Try the OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W for Power Supply, it's only 40$ on NCIX.  I have more faith in that than the one you chose.

Forget the CD-ROM, go for DVD burner, it's 20-25$.

So, 384$ without RAM.  Ram is about 50$ for 8gb.  Try Mushkin basic line.  Decent ram, decent price.
Well below 500$.

Check NCIXUSA.com if Newegg limits you on your choices :)

Damn.  As mentioned, I've already got the AM3 motherboard.  I guess I should just rationalize this as loving a challenge. :blush:
Experience bij!

viper37

oups, I didn't noticed you had the MB already :)

Sell your board on Ebay and buy the stuff I posted :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

S'alright.  I'll take what I can get- it's still going to have to be better than the AMD P360-based laptop I've been using. ;)
Experience bij!

viper37

If you can afford it, try a Phenom II X4.  It's about 60$ more than your Athlon and much more powerful.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2012, 01:47:57 PM
If you can afford it, try a Phenom II X4.  It's about 60$ more than your Athlon and much more powerful.

I was originally considering a PII X4 945T, but I've been hearing about compatibility problems with Biostar boards.
Experience bij!

viper37

Make sure the CPU is on the supported list here:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=506&tab=1
And it will work for sure.  If ain't listed, you may have problems, or it may not work to its full capacity.

DontSayBanana

Yup.  Sure enough, 945; second on the list. :D
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Holy Thread Necro!  Anyway, here's an update on the little bugger, as it stands.

Case|Rosewill Challenger
Mobo|Biostar N68S3+
CPU|AMD Athlon II X4 945
RAM|8GB Team Elite DDR3 1333
HDD|Undecided
CD-ROM|Undecided
PSU|Orion HP585D (585W)

Currently, everything's purchased and assembled except for drives.

The nicest thing about the setup is that it's insanely well-cooled.  The Challenger's a budget case that's designed like a midlevel.  As an added nicety, it came with 3 120mm case fans installed (front, back, and top).  Surprisingly, even with all those fans running, it's pretty quiet.  The main negative is the combination of the motherboard and the top case fan- the CPU fan is pretty much at the end of it's reach, putting it dangerously close to the blades of the top fan.  I'll have to see if I can work some magic with the ol' twist ties.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Played with MacPup 529 a bit, since I was too impatient to wait on the hard drive I ordered.

Speaking of which, I'm proud of myself.  Managed to score a 7200RPM 300GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 for $19.50.

Since I'm definitely too impatient to wait on shipping out a BluRay/DVD drive, I'll probably start prepping a Win7 ISO on my thumb drive tonight for when the hard drive gets here tomorrow.
Experience bij!

Vricklund

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 03, 2012, 05:04:29 PM
CPU|AMD Athlon II X4 945
I'm guessing you went for the phenom after all? I can't find an athlon 945 when I try to google it. Are you using the stock cooler?