News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HDMI with my monitor

Started by Josquius, June 24, 2014, 04:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I sold my TV a few weeks ago. As such my HDMI lead was hanging free and I decided to try it with my monitor. HDMI is better right?
But...it looks...strange.
It looks kind of like my computer does on my TV. Video is fine but computer stuff....text has jagged edges and the whole thing just looks...iffy.
Any ideas at what I could be doing wrong?
What refresh rate is 'best?'
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Japanese TV is an improved NTSC so it's 24 hz if available for SD, otherwise go for HD broadcasts which should be 60 Hz.

Grey Fox

HDMI is not better than DVI except it also carries audio.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

That's what some research is seeming to suggest (I had no idea). But... It doesn't explain hdmi looking worse :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on June 26, 2014, 02:37:04 AM
That's what some research is seeming to suggest (I had no idea). But... It doesn't explain hdmi looking worse :hmm:

There's probably an underlying software problem if that's the case.  DVI and HDMI literally carry the same video signal.  HDMI supports some hardware encryption schemes that DVI doesn't, though, so if anything, HDMI should give you more video options.

Before doing anything drastic, I'd suggest updating your display driver.  Sounds hokey, but you'd be surprised how many problems are resolved by driver patches.
Experience bij!

Josquius

My drivers are up to date but still things looked odd.
Oh well. There's no advantage to come from it so I can just stick with DVI. It was just something I was experimenting with.
██████
██████
██████

katmai

I just bought a new monitor, and only choice are rtb and hdmi, made my choice easy.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2014, 04:31:31 AM
My drivers are up to date but still things looked odd.
Oh well. There's no advantage to come from it so I can just stick with DVI. It was just something I was experimenting with.

There might still be something odd set up in your drivers.  I have not had any problems using HDMI outputs on my Nvidia cards to any of my screens.  I have one card driving four monitors in a 2xDVI/1xHDMI/1xDP->DVI arrangement, and I have another connected to an LG 1080p TV through a receiver.  Both pictures look fine, distance issues notwithstanding.