Free alternatives to MapPoint?

Started by Syt, July 23, 2014, 09:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

What it says in the header: are there any freeware or cheap alternatives to MapPoint?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Google Earth.

There's nothing free out there.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Yeah, Google Earth is the only free alternative I can think of.

Syt

The Excel integration isn't so good with that one, though. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Vricklund

Syt

Mostly for visualizing country numbers or the numbers of subregions within a country.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I see that MapPoint will be discontinued at the end of the year.

It'll be replaced by PowerBI's PowerMap features for Excel, it appears. Only 400-600 bucks per year per person. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2014, 10:40:28 AM
The Excel integration isn't so good with that one, though. ;)

It's not so intuitive, but it's doable: http://ramblings.mcpher.com/Home/excelquirks/getmaps

Basically, the trick is to think of it as using Excel to generate KML files instead- so you're not generating maps so much as generating overlays for an existing map.
Experience bij!

Syt

Thanks. :)

The colleague just went ahead and bought MapPoint, anyways. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould