News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Sports Movies by Sport

Started by Admiral Yi, February 25, 2012, 05:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Another interesting is "Resurrecting the Champ" not so much boxing per say. Good story though.

Eddie Teach

Rocky is the standard for boxing as a "sports movie". Ali's a biopic, Great White Hope has loads of social commentary, Raging Bull is a character study. They're better movies than Rocky, but are they better "sports movies"?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2012, 06:44:24 PM
Rocky is the standard for boxing as a "sports movie". Ali's a biopic, Great White Hope has loads of social commentary, Raging Bull is a character study. They're better movies than Rocky, but are they better "sports movies"?  :hmm:
I think if we're defining Raging Bull out of sports movies then it's a pretty shit genre.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

They're better boxing movies than Rocky.

Fixed that for you.

Quotebut are they better "sports movies"?
I wouldnt open it up, to compete against the whole genre.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2012, 06:48:06 PM
I think if we're defining Raging Bull out of sports movies then it's a pretty shit genre.

It generally is. Not much variety, your heroes either win or lose(usually win).

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2012, 06:50:34 PM
See I think the best sports films have a lot more about them than that.  Like The Wrestler, Raging Bull, The Hustler.

I also want to add Cool Runnings and the Mighty Ducks to the top of their respective sporting lists.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2012, 06:51:24 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2012, 06:50:34 PM
See I think the best sports films have a lot more about them than that.  Like The Wrestler, Raging Bull, The Hustler.

I also want to add Cool Runnings and the Mighty Ducks to the top of their respective sporting lists.

Cool Runnings was a good flick.

Eddie Teach

I think sports movies and dramas about athletes are really not the same beast. Though some films blur the distinction between the two.

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2012, 06:56:21 PM

I think sports movies and dramas about athletes are really not the same beast. Though some films blur the distinction between the two.

So what's a sport movie for you, then? One that deals strictly with the sport part of the deal? I think you'll struggle to find movies that don't give at least partial thought to the characters outside the pitch.

dps

Raging Bull is as much a biopic as Ali.  And The Great White Hope falls into the "based on a true story" category--it's kind of about Jack Johnson, except they refer to him as Jack Jefferson.  I think I'd still consider all 3 to be within the category of sports movies as well, though.

Admiral Yi

The actual fight (except for the cutting scene) was the weakest part of Rocky.