News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Sports Movies by Sport

Started by Admiral Yi, February 25, 2012, 05:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2012, 05:08:19 PMSoccer: another weak field.  Maybe that one in the POW camp with Pele?  I haven't seen it.

Either The Damned United or Fever Pitch. Bend it like Beckham afterwards.

As for other sports, you have Invictus (rugby), Slapshot (Ice hockey), The Wrestler (pro wrestling), Nacho Libre (lucha libre, and based on a real story  :ph34r:), Wimbledon (tennis), Caddyshack (golf)...

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2012, 05:08:19 PM
Soccer: another weak field.  Maybe that one in the POW camp with Pele?  I haven't seen it.

I can't really think of any soccer movies other than Victory and Goal, and I haven't seen the entirety of Victory.

However, Goal sucked.

Oh, and that movie with Cantona, though that wasn't really about soccer.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2012, 05:49:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2012, 05:08:19 PMSoccer: another weak field.  Maybe that one in the POW camp with Pele?  I haven't seen it.
Fever Pitch.

Totally forgot about that one.  :yes:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2012, 05:49:50 PM
Slapshot (Ice hockey)

Miracle for Star-Spangled erections, long may they wave.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2012, 05:48:46 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 25, 2012, 05:47:54 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2012, 05:43:59 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 25, 2012, 05:17:06 PM
I'd put up "Rudy" as a contender for American Football.

Definitely.  People who don't like Rudy probably didn't cry in Benji when his little girlfriend dog got kicked by the kidnappers, either.  Fucking soulless tards.

I'd also put up The Program for college ball as well.  Kinda all over the place, but a lot of truth in that flick.
:rolleyes:

Invicible

Fuck the Iggles and everything coming out of Filthadelphia.

:lol:Better than some movie about the fighting fags.

Hell another old one would be Fighting Back.

But your speed would be...........

RADIO
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

11B4V

QuoteYou gotta problem with Radio?

DA DA DA DAOUCHTDOWN

Eddie Teach

Baseball- Moneyball or The Sandlot
Basketball- White Men Can't Jump
Football- eh, can't think of any good ones
Soccer- Bend it Like Beckham, only one I've seen
Tennis- Match Point. Or Strangers on a Train.  :lol:
Boxing- Rocky or Raging Bull or Ali
Track- Chariots of Fire
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Baseball- Eight Men Out
Basketball- Hoosiers
Football- The Waterboy
Soccer- Fever Pitch
Boxing- Raging Bull or Rocky
Track- Chariots of Fire
Auto Racing- Grand Prix

Fuck Rudy.  Fuck the movie, fuck Ruettiger, and fuck Notre Dame.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Rocky is both the best boxing movie AND the best sports movie ever IMO.  #2 is Raging Bull in both categories also.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2012, 06:18:07 PM

Boxing- Rocky

While good. So many better ones out there

Requiem for a Heavyweight
Cinderella Man
The Great White Hope
Ali

The Larch

There are a couple of recent Spanish comedies/dramedies around soccer, but I don't expect anyone from out of the country to see them.

- Días de fútbol is about a group of guys in their 30s, down on their collective luck, that decide to recreate the amateur team they were part of when they were kids in order to take out their frustrations.

- El penalty más largo del mundo is about the reserve goalkeeper of a team at the lowest division in the league, who in the last game of the season, with the team facing promotion if they don't loose the last game, has to enter the game when the first keeper is injured and is afterwards signalled a penalty against his team at the last minute of the game. After a pitch invasion the match is postponed a week, and will be re-started with the penalty kick one week afterwards.

11B4V

Quote from: Caliga on February 25, 2012, 06:29:30 PM
Rocky is both the best boxing movie AND the best sports movie ever IMO.  #2 is Raging Bull in both categories also.

Bollocks

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?