News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Raz Science question: Why no tiny Dinosaurs?

Started by Razgovory, February 23, 2012, 09:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Something I always wondered about when I was a kid.  How come there were no Dinosaurs the size of mice, or at least none found?  There were dinosaurs the size of chickens, but I was led to believe that was about as small as they got.  Certainly there were other animals that were tiny during the time period and it's hard to believe that tiny mammals, reptiles, and amphibians managed to out compete tiny Dinosaurs every time and every place for 100 million years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Where do you draw the scientific boundary between the skeleton of a reptile and a tiny dinosaur?

Eddie Teach

Because mouse-sized dinosaurs are just lizards.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

They were all eaten.

Dinosaurs weren't lizards.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on February 23, 2012, 09:51:09 AM
Where do you draw the scientific boundary between the skeleton of a reptile and a tiny dinosaur?

I don't know where to begin here. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Oh and to clarify, I mean Dinosaurs during the Triassic-Cretatious period.  Not later avians like Hummingbirds.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2012, 09:49:38 AM
Something I always wondered about when I was a kid.  How come there were no Dinosaurs the size of mice, or at least none found?  There were dinosaurs the size of chickens, but I was led to believe that was about as small as they got.  Certainly there were other animals that were tiny during the time period and it's hard to believe that tiny mammals, reptiles, and amphibians managed to out compete tiny Dinosaurs every time and every place for 100 million years.

A few moments of googling show that there are a few dinosaurs more the size of squirrels.

I give you Nemicolopterus.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/02/11/pterodactyl-dinosaur.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

We call them Birds.

Damn it, you pre-empted me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

we don't have many fossils for small complex animals like this one, the size of a rat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchiornis_huxleyi

we don't have fossils for mammals and reptiles of that age and size either. This one is smaller than an adult rat but larger than an adult mouse. So small dinosaurs did exist.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Brazen

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on February 23, 2012, 10:07:03 AM
A few moments of googling show that there are a few dinosaurs more the size of squirrels.

I give you Nemicolopterus.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/02/11/pterodactyl-dinosaur.html

Pterodactyls (which are pterosaurs) are not dinosaurs, so no. But if you are uninformed idiot by choice like Raz this might not matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterosaur

QuotePterosaurs are often referred to in the popular media and by the general public as flying dinosaurs, but this is incorrect. The term "dinosaur" is properly restricted to a certain group of reptiles with a unique upright stance (clade Dinosauria, which includes birds), and therefore excludes the pterosaurs, as well as the various groups of extinct marine reptiles, such as ichthyosaurs, plesiosaurs, and mosasaurs.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Brazen on February 23, 2012, 10:22:12 AM
There's a tiny pterosaur (probably called Tony)  in this list that weighed just a few ounces.

http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/typesofdinosaurs/tp/Five-Smallest-Dinosaurs.htm

Strange that a page named the 5 smallest dinosaurs has a list of 10 animals of which only 1,2,3,5 and 7 are actually dinosaurs. Nrs 8 and 9 are actually mammals and in no colloquial sense dinosaurs.

HVC

Quote from: Viking on February 23, 2012, 10:27:47 AM
There's a tiny pterosaur (probably called Tony)  in this list that weighed just a few ounces.

Strange that a page named the 5 smallest dinosaurs has a list of 10 animals of which only 1,2,3,5 and 7 are actually dinosaurs. Nrs 8 and 9 are actually mammals and in no colloquial sense dinosaurs.
"Here's a list of the 10 smallest prehistoric animals"
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on February 23, 2012, 10:27:47 AM

:rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!