Detroit automakers race to keep up with sales

Started by garbon, February 27, 2012, 12:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on February 27, 2012, 12:48:15 PM
Muhahahahaha  :menace:
Given that speeding is supposedly very dangerous, there must not be one single German left alive in the country.  Those who haven't killed themselves mut have  killed all pedestrians, cyclists and animal life in their country.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2012, 07:59:50 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 27, 2012, 12:48:15 PM
Muhahahahaha  :menace:
Given that speeding is supposedly very dangerous, there must not be one single German left alive in the country.  Those who haven't killed themselves mut have  killed all pedestrians, cyclists and animal life in their country.
To be fair, autobahns have a couple of advantages than US freeways generally don't, AFAIK.  They generally have much safer surroundings, which is by far the most important factor in surviving a crash, and they enforce strict lane discipline.

Neil

Autobahns also have the advantage of being a luxury.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zanza

Quote from: KRonn on February 27, 2012, 07:53:59 PMI'd assume that's part of it. And part of the reason the auto makers are hesitant to increase workers and facilities.
I only know about the German carmakers, but all of them are expanding their capacities in the USA and hire new workers. They expect a longer-term market growth.

Zanza

Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2012, 07:59:50 PMGiven that speeding is supposedly very dangerous, there must not be one single German left alive in the country.  Those who haven't killed themselves mut have  killed all pedestrians, cyclists and animal life in their country.
It is dangerous in many places and that's why there are speed limits for close to half of the autobahns. But on the other half there isn't as much traffic and the road itself is not dangerous (no crossings, curves, etc.) so there is no reason for a limit.

Josquius

Yey.
But strange news, just today I read about a big surge for Japanese car makers. Why is everyone buying cars lately?

This I don't get:
QuoteYet like many parts suppliers, she's having trouble finding people with the skills to run machinery in her plant.
What happened to all those who were sacked a few years ago?
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on February 28, 2012, 03:55:52 AMBut strange news, just today I read about a big surge for Japanese car makers. Why is everyone buying cars lately?
Most growth of the global car market is in emerging economies such as China, Russia, Brazil and SEA, all of which have much lower car ownership rates than more mature markets in EU, NAFTA and Japan. There is also a clear shift of production and investment to these markets.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on February 28, 2012, 03:55:52 AM
This I don't get:
QuoteYet like many parts suppliers, she's having trouble finding people with the skills to run machinery in her plant.

Like air traffic controllers, they moved on with their lives.

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 28, 2012, 07:10:21 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 28, 2012, 03:55:52 AM
This I don't get:

Like air traffic controllers, they moved on with their lives.
You see a lot on the news about them all being unemployed and unable to get other work though
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Tyr on February 28, 2012, 07:49:13 AM
You see a lot on the news about them all being unemployed and unable to get other work though

Not those with skills to run the machinery. You are thinking of the ones that worked the assembly line.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2012, 06:05:40 PM
Part of it is surely just three-four years of pent up demand?

That.
sales are very cyclical.  Boom and bust. Better pay down those pension liabilities now while they can.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 28, 2012, 09:58:24 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2012, 06:05:40 PM
Part of it is surely just three-four years of pent up demand?

That.
sales are very cyclical.  Boom and bust. Better pay down those pension liabilities now while they can.

It's clearly also pent up demand, but car sales are still way below pre-crisis level. Between 2008 and 2010 more cars were scrapped than added. 

From: http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2012/02/21/886471/us-pent-up-demand-charted/