Affirmative action in college admissions likely to be struck down by Supremes

Started by jimmy olsen, February 21, 2012, 08:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 11:27:39 AM
I don't think cherry picking really applies as a term when you pick what is essentially the current day.  That said, yes it is important to establish that things might change from that, but it isn't inherently dishonest to compare today with the past.

I guess that depends on whether you want to derive anything meaningful from it.  If he was just saying, "Hey, look how cool it is that these two maps are pretty similar" then that's fine.  But I don't think that was his intent.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2012, 02:55:13 PM
Once you've been an offensive lineman for Michigan, it is hard to get excited about taking the step down to being a mere President of the United States.

Oh, brother.  :lol: Someone a shovel.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 23, 2012, 02:36:04 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on February 22, 2012, 10:37:59 PM
Raz doesn't know what he is talking about, of course.

Jimmy Carter swept every southern state but Virginia in '76.  What does that tell us? 

Never, never run an offensive lineman for President.

QuoteWhat has changed that all the yankee republicans have moved south, turning the south into a republican stronghold, while turning the north Democrat.

:huh:
:blink:

Here I was thinking all along that the core of GOP support in the South was evangelicals and descendants of the Wallace-ites that Nixon brought in; turns out it's really the hordes of millions of Thurston Howell IIIs who left Newport and Park Avenue for Pascagoula and Mobile.

Their rule is unbearable.  They make us play badminton with them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2012, 03:49:05 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2012, 02:55:13 PM
Once you've been an offensive lineman for Michigan, it is hard to get excited about taking the step down to being a mere President of the United States.

Oh, brother.  :lol: Someone a shovel.

No one has ever accused Michigan men of being humble.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 23, 2012, 03:42:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 11:27:39 AM
I don't think cherry picking really applies as a term when you pick what is essentially the current day.  That said, yes it is important to establish that things might change from that, but it isn't inherently dishonest to compare today with the past.

I guess that depends on whether you want to derive anything meaningful from it.  If he was just saying, "Hey, look how cool it is that these two maps are pretty similar" then that's fine.  But I don't think that was his intent.

I think you are being deliberately difficult.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Since maps seem to be in vogue, here is a human development index map for US states:

It appears that 19 of the 20 states with the most developed humans voted for Obama.  :hmm:  Maybe all underdeveloped humans migrated away from the North?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2012, 05:08:46 PM
Since maps seem to be in vogue, here is a human development index map for US states:

It appears that 19 of the 20 states with the most developed humans voted for Obama.  :hmm:  Maybe all underdeveloped humans migrated away from the North?

SC: bottom of barrel.  Surprise.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 05:15:00 PM
I don't understand New Jersey and most developed. :mellow:
I do understand it.  Highly developed people are better at understanding things.  :)

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2012, 05:40:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 05:15:00 PM
I don't understand New Jersey and most developed. :mellow:
I do understand it.  Highly developed people are better at understanding things.  :)

I'm from Massachusetts and California and live in New York. I've a good set of indexes. :P

Ideologue

Highly developed people say "indices." :cool:

Can you imagine SC if I didn't live here?  It'd be, like, 1.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

The map: vector of life expectancy at birth, expected years of education, and "standard of living, as indicated by the natural logarithm of gross domestic product per capita at purchasing power parity."

In fairness, at least one of these factors is irrelevant to DG's point.
Experience bij!

DGuller