And we're back!

Main Menu

Waffen-SS - elite units or overrated?

Started by Syt, February 16, 2012, 12:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2012, 11:44:42 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 16, 2012, 11:42:19 AM
Could be. JD is also listed as a designer.

Quit stalking me.

You asked.  ;)Lower Center.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

So no Fat Man.

I'd forgotten the name Balkowski, but I do remember liking his work.

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on February 16, 2012, 11:48:10 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2012, 11:44:42 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 16, 2012, 11:42:19 AM
Could be. JD is also listed as a designer.

Quit stalking me.

You asked.  ;)Lower Center.

Definitely over-rated.  I could penetrate that all day with my IS-4.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2012, 11:49:36 AM
So no Fat Man.

I'd forgotten the name Balkowski, but I do remember liking his work.

True dat.

Op Typhoon
Ney v. Wellington
Atlantic Wall

To name a few.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on February 16, 2012, 11:55:33 AM
True dat.

Op Typhoon
Ney v. Wellington
Atlantic Wall

To name a few.

Typhoon was great.

Ney v. Wellington was the most fun to set up of any game I've set up.  Then the firing started and it all went to shit.  Personally I think he fucked up the moral penalty for losses.  Lose 100 men and the battallion became land fill.

Razgovory

One of the more peculiar things about the Waffen SS was that many units could hold their own.  Political militias are typically pretty awful on the battlefield.  I think they have an "aura" around them do to both Allied and German propaganda.  Their tendency to commit atrocities also made it more difficult to surrender.  For instance after massacring a bunch of captured Canadian soldiers the SS found it difficult to surrender to Canadians in Normandy. This refers mostly to the "classic" German ones.  Many of the other ones that were composed of conquered or allied people were probably not much different then the average army unit.  Sometimes they weren't even volunteers.  And some units were just plain bad.  The Dirlwanger and Kaminski brigades were just awful.  Useful for only terror and rape.

I wonder how the German army soldiers viewed the SS formations.  I imagine with some resentment.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2012, 11:59:07 AM
Ney v. Wellington was the most fun to set up of any game I've set up.  Then the firing started and it all went to shit.  Personally I think he fucked up the moral penalty for losses.  Lose 100 men and the battallion became land fill.
Bingo.  Detach your voltigeur company and rout.  Wasn't too hard to come up with better rules for moral and discipline, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Cecil

Quote from: Razgovory on February 16, 2012, 12:45:08 PM
One of the more peculiar things about the Waffen SS was that many units could hold their own.  Political militias are typically pretty awful on the battlefield.  I think they have an "aura" around them do to both Allied and German propaganda.  Their tendency to commit atrocities also made it more difficult to surrender.  For instance after massacring a bunch of captured Canadian soldiers the SS found it difficult to surrender to Canadians in Normandy. This refers mostly to the "classic" German ones.  Many of the other ones that were composed of conquered or allied people were probably not much different then the average army unit.  Sometimes they weren't even volunteers.  And some units were just plain bad.  The Dirlwanger and Kaminski brigades were just awful.  Useful for only terror and rape.

I wonder how the German army soldiers viewed the SS formations.  I imagine with some resentment.

I seem to remember Rommel having some strong opinions about them when his son asked to join up with em.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on February 16, 2012, 10:52:14 AM
were the belgians called waffle-ss

Belgian Waffle-SS.

What an awesome fucking name for a band.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Are people 'bumping' this thread in the hope that Hortlund will come back ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on February 16, 2012, 06:49:10 PM

Why, does it bother you?

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on February 16, 2012, 08:41:29 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 16, 2012, 06:49:10 PM

Why, does it bother you?

Well it Would be amusing, but I think he trying to avoid the bad old days.

edit:

I mean the thread really needs an apologist for the SS.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"