News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Waffen-SS - elite units or overrated?

Started by Syt, February 16, 2012, 12:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Keep a unit at full strength while letting others decline to well under half strength as a matter of policy.
Provide that unit with the best and most experienced NCO's from other units.
Provide that unit with the best available equipment.

Then pretend that this unit's manpowers fanatical facist will is the deciding factor and let the grognards ghey themselves up by colouring the counters in cool special colours.

Yes, they were better for clear obvious and understandable reasons.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

I dunno, we killed them just as well as any other Kraut.  HOO RAH

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 16, 2012, 02:28:09 AM
Depended on the unit, but they tended yo be fanatical and well equipped.

So was the Iraqi Republican Guard.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on February 16, 2012, 06:41:29 AM
Keep a unit at full strength while letting others decline to well under half strength as a matter of policy.

Then pretend that this unit's manpowers fanatical facist will is the deciding factor and let the grognards ghey themselves up by colouring the counters in cool special colours.

Much as I hate to agree with Viking, he is right, here.  The SS was no better motivated than the German Army, even in its best units, but it was better-equipped and kept up to strength, so as to create the impression that it was the political element that made it so powerful.  After all, its ultimate purpose was to ensure that the Nazi party was safe against the German Army.  Its combat effectiveness against non-German enemies was a bonus (and, as noted, not really added until 1943).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on February 16, 2012, 02:54:00 AM
For the divisions

Liebstandarte, Das Reich, Totenkopf, Wiking, Hohenstaufen, Frundsberg, and Hitlerjugend were the elite. All other were no better IMO than regular Wehrmacht divisions.

And some were wurst.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 16, 2012, 07:31:22 AM
For the divisions

Liebstandarte, Das Reich, Totenkopf, Wiking, Hohenstaufen, Frundsberg, and Hitlerjugend were the elite. All other were no better IMO than regular Wehrmacht divisions.

And some were wurst.

Thank you, I just projectile defecated.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

For the divisions

And some were wurst.

Brat??
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Darth Wagtaros

For the divisions

And some were wurst.
But they were the best of the wurst.
PDH!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Got a semi-related question for Before.

One thing that always bugged me when I played SPI's Wacht am Rhein was the OOB of Panzer Lehr.  3 panzergrenedier regiments and one lousy StugIII battallion.  WTF?  No Panthers?  No PzIVs? 

Is that accurate for Lehr during the Bulge?

Hansmeister

Quote from: grumbler on February 16, 2012, 07:29:37 AM
Quote from: Viking on February 16, 2012, 06:41:29 AM

Much as I hate to agree with Viking, he is right, here.  The SS was no better motivated than the German Army, even in its best units, but it was better-equipped and kept up to strength, so as to create the impression that it was the political element that made it so powerful.  After all, its ultimate purpose was to ensure that the Nazi party was safe against the German Army.  Its combat effectiveness against non-German enemies was a bonus (and, as noted, not really added until 1943).

Well, it was better motivated due to the fact that until late in the war the units were all-volunteer.  That does make a difference.  OTOH, their officers were chosen for political reasons, not competency, which undermined their effectiveness.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2012, 10:10:58 AM
Got a semi-related question for Before.

One thing that always bugged me when I played SPI's Wacht am Rhein was the OOB of Panzer Lehr.  3 panzergrenedier regiments and one lousy StugIII battallion.  WTF?  No Panthers?  No PzIVs? 

Is that accurate for Lehr during the Bulge?

Are you questioning SPI?

AFAIK, Lehr was virtually wiped out in the falaise pocket and was a shadow of itself after that.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 16, 2012, 10:12:45 AM
AFAIK, Lehr was virtually wiped out in the falaise pocket and was a shadow of itself after that.

Right, but so were all the other panzer divisions that participated in the Bulge.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on February 16, 2012, 05:02:16 AM
QuoteI do know that many Wehrmacht commanders considered them to be highly motivated and tenacious, but tactically clumsy at times, resulting in higher than "normal" casualties being taken.

This is very true of the early SS Motorized Divisions '39-'41ish. The Waffen SS didnt come into their own until early (Jan) '43. From that time on, they (the seven I listed) were usually the armor fist at the tip of the spear for just about every major offensive, counter offensive, or counter attack.

So, overrated....depends on which division(s), when and at what time.

Ditto.  But it's not hard to see why Waffen-SS units are often so overrated.  On a base level, "Panzer" sounds pretty badass, but "SS Panzer" is ueber-badass.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall