News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Waffen-SS - elite units or overrated?

Started by Syt, February 16, 2012, 12:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

German history magazine "Damals" had as its main feature recently "The SS". It also had an article about the SS during the war which kinda surprised me, but I'm not a nerd-scholar of the era like some here. :P

Basically, it said that the 5 SS divisions that invaded the Soviet Union in 1941 were badly equipped, that only in 1943 the major expansion/re-equipment of the Waffen-SS took place, and that while the soldiers in those units were highly ideologically motivated, their mythos was created mostly by propaganda (and enhanced by their cruelty in occupied territories), citing that their casualty ratios weren't higher than those of Wehrmacht units.

So - are those white on black counters in some games overpowered? Or what's what?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

They were a pretty mixed bag overall. Some were crap, others were excellent.

I am not sure looking at their casualty ratio's is really a good measure of their quality though.

I do know that many Wehrmacht commanders considered them to be highly motivated and tenacious, but tactically clumsy at times, resulting in higher than "normal" casualties being taken.

The SS armored units did get preferential treatment when it came to equipment however.

When it comes to whether you define a unit as "elite" a good chunk of that definition boils down to motivation - so being highly ideologically motivated goes at least a ways down the path towards being "elite". Of course, all the motivation in the world isn't going to help without training, but while I think there were cases where SS units showed a decided lack of training (some of the counter-attacks by the SS units in Normandy, for example) most of that is simply a matter of there being cases by that point in the war that the German training system simply was not capable of executing at the level they were accustomed to - one can certainly find examples of regular Wehrmacht units having poor training as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Depended on the unit, but they tended to be fanatical and well equipped.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

For the divisions

Liebstandarte, Das Reich, Totenkopf, Wiking, Hohenstaufen, Frundsberg, and Hitlerjugend were the elite. All other were no better IMO than regular Wehrmacht divisions.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

syk

Quote from: 11B4V on February 16, 2012, 02:54:00 AM
For the divisions

Liebstandarte, Das Reich, Totenkopf, Wiking, Hohenstaufen, Frundsberg, and Hitlerjugend were the elite. All other were no better IMO than regular Wehrmacht divisions.
Make it Leibstandarte please. Liebstandarte would translate to "Sweet-natured pennant"  :lol:

11B4V

Quote from: syk on February 16, 2012, 04:10:49 AM
For the divisions

Make it Leibstandarte please. Liebstandarte would translate to "Sweet-natured pennant"  :lol:
quite. 6 out of 7, not bad :blurgh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

syk

Quote from: 11B4V on February 16, 2012, 04:12:24 AM
For the divisions

Always amazed how you people memorize unit names to the letter. But the endearing death heads were just too funny.  :)

11B4V

Quote from: syk on February 16, 2012, 04:17:20 AM
For the divisions

Always amazed how you people memorize unit names to the letter. But the endearing death heads were just too funny.  :)

You people?????

Tonitrus

Quote from: 11B4V on February 16, 2012, 04:19:20 AM
For the divisions

You people?????

Grognards.

syk

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 16, 2012, 04:22:37 AM
For the divisions

You people?????

Grognards.
Yup

11B4V

Quote from: syk on February 16, 2012, 04:30:40 AM
For the divisions

You people?????

Grognards.
Yup
Ahh  ;)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus

You people?????

Grognards.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

QuoteI do know that many Wehrmacht commanders considered them to be highly motivated and tenacious, but tactically clumsy at times, resulting in higher than "normal" casualties being taken.

This is very true of the early SS Motorized Divisions '39-'41ish. The Waffen SS didnt come into their own until early (Jan) '43. From that time on, they (the seven I listed) were usually the armor fist at the tip of the spear for just about every major offensive, counter offensive, or counter attack.

So, overrated....depends on which division(s), when and at what time.

11B4V