Iran Warns 6 Countries in Europe It Will Cut Off Oil Immediately

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2012, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I really don't see how that's gonna help them much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/world/europe/iran-says-it-will-cut-oil-supplies-to-6-european-nations.html?_r=1&hp

Iran Warns 6 Countries in Europe It Will Cut Off Oil
By RICK GLADSTONE and ALAN COWELL
Published: February 15, 2012

Besieged by international sanctions over the Iranian nuclear program including a planned oil embargo by Europe, Iran warned six European buyers on Wednesday that it might strike first by immediately cutting them off from Iranian oil.
Iran's official Islamic Republic News Agency said the threat was conveyed to the ambassadors of Italy, Spain, France, the Netherlands, Greece and Portugal in separate meetings at the Foreign Ministry in Tehran. Officials said in an earlier report by Press TV, Iran's state-financed satellite broadcaster, that Iran had already cut supplies to the six countries was inaccurate — but not before word of the Press TV report sent a brief shudder through the global oil market, sending prices up slightly.

"Iran warns Europe it will find other customers for its oil," the Islamic Republic News Agency said. "European people should know that if Iran changes destinations of the oil it gives to them, the responsibility will rest with the European governments themselves."

Last month the European Union decided to impose an oil embargo on Iran as of July 1 as part of a coordinated campaign of Western sanctions aimed at pressuring Iran to halt its disputed uranium enrichment program, and the Europeans have been making arrangements since then to find other sources.

The European Union has been one of Iran's biggest markets for oil, taking about 18 percent of total Iranian petroleum exports in 2011. Among the European Union members, the biggest buyers have been Italy, Spain and France.

Iran forecasted in December that a cutoff of Iranian oil could double the global price. But a combination of lower demand because of European economic weakness and ample sources of supply elsewhere have helped cushion the anticipated effects of both the planned embargo and Iran's threat to stop exporting oil to Europe well before the embargo starts.

Saudi Arabia, the top producer in the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, has said it could compensate for much of the shortfall from Iran, which is OPEC's second-largest producer. And resurgent production from Libya, long crippled by the conflict there last year, has further added to the total global supply.

The relatively mild effects of the Iranian threat on Wednesday were reflected on prices at the New York Mercantile Exchange, where the March-delivery price for oil closed up $1.06 a barrel on Wednesday to $101.80, a gain of 1 percent.

The impact of sanctions, including severe restraints on Iran's ability to conduct routine banking and shipping operations, have caused severe disruptions to Iran's economy as the nuclear program remains an increasingly acrimonious issue between Iran and the West.

The Iranian warning came on a day of mixed messages emanating from Iran's hierarchy about its nuclear program, which Western nations and Israel have called a cover for Iranian attempts to become capable of making a weapon. Iran has said the program is peaceful.

At the same time Iran was warning its biggest European oil buyers, it also announced it was willing to reopen nuclear talks suspended a year ago in a letter to Catherine Ashton, the European Union's top foreign policy official. The Iranians also announced new advances in their nuclear program, including escalation of Iran's enrichment practices, which if accurate could serve to further aggravate tensions.

A spokeswoman for Ms. Ashton confirmed receipt of a letter from Dr. Saeed Jalili, who heads Iran's Supreme National Security Council, sent in response to a letter from Ms. Ashton in October of last year. The spokeswoman, Maja Kocijancic, did not disclose the contents but said "we are carefully studying the letter."

The Iranian side also did not reveal the letter's contents, but the Islamic Republic News agency paraphrased Mr. Jalili as saying in the letter that "returning to the negotiation table would be the best means to broaden cooperation between the two sides."

In Tehran, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad presided over ceremonies to mark advances in Iran's nuclear program, partly to project an image of Iranian defiance against the Western sanctions. The new advances include centrifuges that Iran said were capable of enriching uranium at a much faster rate, and the insertion of the first domestically produced nuclear fuel rod into a nuclear reactor in Tehran.

"The era of bullying nations has past," Mr. Ahmadinejad said in a televised broadcast of the ceremony. "The arrogant powers cannot monopolize nuclear technology. They tried to prevent us by issuing sanctions and resolutions but failed."

Iran's nuclear announcements came as tensions have escalated in particular with Israel, which regards Iran as an existential threat and has hinted at the possibility of a pre-emptive military strike on Iran's nuclear facilities to forestall its suspected ambitions.

Iran has accused Israel, a nuclear weapons state, of responsibility for a clandestine campaign aimed at sabotaging Iran's nuclear ambitions, including the assassinations of at least four Iranian scientists since 2010. Israel has counter accused Iran in recent days of retaliatory plots aimed at Israeli targets in Georgia, India and Thailand, which Iran has denied.

Rick Gladstone reported from New York, and Alan Cowell from London. Steven Erlanger contributed reporting from Paris, and Artin Afkhami from Boston.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Does the UK not do business with Iran?  Also, isn't oil fungible?  What good would this do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

That's cool.  We can cut off six cities in Iran's ability to have standing structures immediately.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2012, 10:35:06 PM
That's cool.  We can cut off six cities in Iran's ability to have standing structures immediately.

:)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Just so long as we don't go for any "nation-building" bullshit this time around.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2012, 10:53:58 PM

Just so long as we don't go for any "nation-building" bullshit this time around.

I think our problem might be that we didn't wreck them enough (like we did in WW2), before we start the building. 

Maybe if we subjected Afghanistan to a few years of severe firebombing, and a couple nukes, things would have turned out better.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 15, 2012, 10:55:44 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2012, 10:53:58 PM

I think our problem might be that we didn't wreck them enough (like we did in WW2), before we start the building. 

Maybe if we subjected Afghanistan to a few years of severe firebombing, and a couple nukes, things would have turned out better.

Horror and whatnot aside, I truly think this is the case.

We defeated the militaries of Afghanistan and Iraq.  We defeated the peoples of Germany and Japan, not just physically but spiritually.  You surround individuals with the death and ruination for years, and liberal democracy starts seeming pretty good.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Well, of course the major difference also is that Germany and Japan were civilized(except for the whole fascist/Nazi thing), urbanized cultures.

Afghanistan is a bunch of people mostly in huts and caves.

Razgovory

I admit I was a bit surprise to learn that Iraqis lived in tribes.  I mean, they had a head start on the whole civilization thing.  Talk about resting on your laurels.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 15, 2012, 11:07:55 PM
Well, of course the major difference also is that Germany and Japan were civilized(except for the whole fascist/Nazi thing), urbanized cultures.

Afghanistan is a bunch of people mostly in huts and caves.

By 1945, so were Germany and Japan, except not the huts part.

Was Japan really civilized?  They were westernized in some regards, but within/almost in living memory they had still been a feudal backwater.  And they were staggeringly ignorant and susceptible to propaganda, believing some pretty crazy stuff, like the emperor was important, that having spirit was more important than having artillery, or that if America conquered Japan we would eat them.
Kinemalogue

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2012, 11:17:33 PM
I admit I was a bit surprise to learn that Iraqis lived in tribes.  I mean, they had a head start on the whole civilization thing.  Talk about resting on your laurels.

You do realize modern iraqis have nothing to do with old messopotamy, right?
Iraqis are descendant from arab conquerors who forced the survivors into islam and raped all the women.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tonitrus

Quote from: Siege on February 16, 2012, 11:00:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2012, 11:17:33 PM

You do realize modern iraqis have nothing to do with old messopotamy, right?
Iraqis are descendant from arab conquerors who forced the survivors into islam and raped all the women.

Hell, conquerors who forced the survivors to convert and raped all the women pretty much sums up world history until the modern era.

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 16, 2012, 11:32:17 PM
Hell, conquerors who forced the survivors to convert and raped all the women pretty much sums up world history until the modern era.

Only about half. The other half was conquerors who raped all the women, didn't give a fuck about converting people and instead more or less adopted the cultures of their new subjects.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on