Iranian navy in the Med; only 2nd time since '79

Started by jimmy olsen, February 19, 2012, 06:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2012, 09:45:52 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 19, 2012, 07:45:13 AM
Oh is this their little tiny 3-4000 ton "destroyer" they've built themselves?
It's not like that's laughably small for a destroyer.  Other countries have older destroyers in that range, and the difference between frigates, destroyers and cruisers varies from country to country.  It's no longer a simple matter of size.

The RN has been classifying destroyers (AAW) and frigates (ASW) by role for decades, meaning RN frigates are consistently larger than RN destroyers.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on February 19, 2012, 05:27:26 PM
The RN has been classifying destroyers (AAW) and frigates (ASW) by role for decades, meaning RN frigates are consistently larger than RN destroyers.

They went away from that with that new Daring of theirs though.  That thing is pretty good sized. 

Speaking of destroyers, I remember being very impressed with the Arleigh Burkes I saw while underway.  They're big and they're really surprisingly fast, and accelerate like they have a damn gas pedal.  They can just take off, and they can also turn quite well.  Obviously this is stuff a destroyer should be able to do, but it was just rather impressive at the time, mostly because of how hefty they are.

The OHP frigates were/are also pretty long, but they don't have that same...bulk...to them.   There was also a coast guard high endurance cutter, but the only thing that impressed me about that was that their crewmen got to wear shorts.  :P

Something weird is happening.  Every time I submit/save, I'm losing like half of the post.  The last one just stopped about halfway through a sentence.  I guess it could be something on my end.  Hm.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.