Perfectly Preserved WW1 German Trenches Unearthed in Excavation

Started by Malthus, February 15, 2012, 06:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Are there any more pics available anywhere else on this?  They said they found soldiers sitting upright on benches & some other interesting stuff.

My guess is that all the wood parts of the structure would deteriorate pretty rapidly when exposed to the elements, and I'm not sure how easily you can preserve wood that permeated with soil.  I would think it might be better to rebuild a section of trench that can be maintained/preserved in a national park or other less valuable land (do they have anything like this in France or Belgium?) than to try to keep this one.

Also, I loved the comments on how they should preserve the trench and force politicians to walk through it, as though politicians *never* weigh the human cost of going to war.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2012, 11:42:26 AM
Also, I loved the comments on how they should preserve the trench and force politicians to walk through it, as though politicians *never* weigh the human cost of going to war.

I think it's odder to think that a politician is going to have the human cost of war driven home by walking through a hole in the ground.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2012, 11:46:59 AM

I think it's odder to think that a politician is going to have the human cost of war driven home by walking through a hole in the ground.

That, too. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Crazy_Ivan80

Are there any more pics available anywhere else on this?  They said they found soldiers sitting upright on benches & some other interesting stuff.

My guess is that all the wood parts of the structure would deteriorate pretty rapidly when exposed to the elements, and I'm not sure how easily you can preserve wood that permeated with soil.  I would think it might be better to rebuild a section of trench that can be maintained/preserved in a national park or other less valuable land (do they have anything like this in France or Belgium?) than to try to keep this one.

The wood wil keep a while, but not too long.

There's the "Dodengang" in Diksmuide, that's a reconstructed/maintained trenchsystem, there's another section somewhere near Ieper (in the vicinity of what use to be Flanders Language Valley) and I'm aware that there are a few places that haven't been nivellated after the war, meaning that all the bombcraters are still there.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2012, 11:46:59 AM

THIS is how horrible war was 100 years ago!  Think about that next time you vote to fight a war 100 years in the past Senator.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

My guess is that all the wood parts of the structure would deteriorate pretty rapidly when exposed to the elements, and I'm not sure how easily you can preserve wood that permeated with soil.

It takes some time and resources but the wood can be treated for preservation. They'll need to enclose the area for protection, though, and I doubt it would be able to stand the strain of tourism. 

Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2012, 11:42:26 AMI would think it might be better to rebuild a section of trench that can be maintained/preserved in a national park or other less valuable land (do they have anything like this in France or Belgium?) than to try to keep this one.

I don't get this. You finally get to have a unique piece of history, but you'd rather have a reconstructed version because it's more convenient?  :huh:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.