Perfectly Preserved WW1 German Trenches Unearthed in Excavation

Started by Malthus, February 15, 2012, 06:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

I saw this earlier this week and was going to post it on Languish but got sidetracked. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Would have been really cool if there were still soldiers there awaiting the whistle to leap out of the trench. Sort of like those Jap soldiers they found on those Pacific islands who thought the war was still going on. The second war, in their case I mean.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 16, 2012, 01:51:33 AM
the dig of a lifetime if you're participating
That's what they told the participants back in 1918.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josquius

Wow. That is damn well preserved.

But looks like the poor locals won't get their road. :(
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on February 16, 2012, 10:12:38 AM
Wow. That is damn well preserved.

But looks like the poor locals won't get their road. :(

My guess is that this is "rescue archaeology", which means that the road will go through after everything is dug & recorded. I dunno if it is a significant enough site to actually be preserved.

MadBurgerMaker

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on February 16, 2012, 10:30:59 AM

My guess is that this is "rescue archaeology", which means that the road will go through after everything is dug & recorded. I dunno if it is a significant enough site to actually be preserved.

I think it might be. Most surviving trenches are either rebuilt or restored, there aren't many (if any) original trenches out there.
Not this well preserved, at least.