Started by Kleves, February 15, 2012, 11:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2012, 01:45:25 PM
Great head of hair though.

It's hair unfettered by itself.

I have the best head of invisible hair you could possibly imagine.
and the horse you rode in on

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on February 15, 2012, 11:52:53 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 15, 2012, 11:27:02 PM
Once the asteroid mass-drivers are in orbit, we won't need any nukes.  :ph34r:
The US will never achieve that level of space tech.  You guys have given up, and it will be up to others to decide if mankind ever gets to the stars.
Can't we just wait for Russia to build the mass-driver, and then rent it from them?

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2012, 08:44:43 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 17, 2012, 08:43:10 AM
Quote from: Siege on February 17, 2012, 12:40:43 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2012, 11:08:13 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 16, 2012, 10:53:14 PM
The late B-17G.

The initial models were nowhere near that.
The model 299 flew at 2100m or 7000 feet.
I'm sure it did, but it also flew higher and lower than that.  That's how airplanes work.
Says the guy that listens to Hawthorne Heights.

I got you by the balls, faggot!
Is Hawthorne Heights similar to Wuthering Heights?
Kate Bush?

OK I know you a little. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on February 17, 2012, 01:35:05 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 17, 2012, 07:31:21 AM
Ah, the old "everyone does it" defense of genocide.  Haven't heard that one in days.

I think you misunderstand my intent. "Capable of" most certainly does not indicate "should perform".

I would have wagered strongly that if you remembered anything about me, it would not be that I am an advocate of extreme positions.

I know, right?  I never said all five were justified or justifiable.  Only four, at most.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: fahdiz on February 17, 2012, 01:35:05 PM
I think you misunderstand my intent. "Capable of" most certainly does not indicate "should perform".

I would have wagered strongly that if you remembered anything about me, it would not be that I am an advocate of extreme positions.

The argument that "the human condition is everyone is capable of genocide" is an extreme position.  I doubt that anyone here is capable of genocide, for instance, and think the position that everyone is so capable is ludicrous.

Some people are capable of genocide, to be sure.  The argument that they are not the exception is an extreme one, though facile enough to be tempting to the facile mind.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fhdz

Eddie Teach

I suspect many here are capable of participating in a genocide, especially when the bar is set as low as our efforts in WW2 and the settlement of the US.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

I wish I were as confident as grumbler.  In the right (or rather very wrong) circumstances, a lot of people can stoop to genocide.  The whole Rwanda genocide kicked off when everyone was asked to hack their neighbor of the wrong tribe to pieces, and many obliged.

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2012, 11:24:14 PM
I wish I were as confident as grumbler.

I think we all might wish for that level of confidence, misplaced or no.

Razgovory

I wish I were as confident as grumbler.  In the right (or rather very wrong) circumstances, a lot of people can stoop to genocide.  The whole Rwanda genocide kicked off when everyone was asked to hack their neighbor of the wrong tribe to pieces, and many obliged.

Well we know Fahdiz would.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2012, 02:00:38 PM
Well we know Fahdiz would.

I've never seen Fahdiz and al-Bashir in the same place at the same time, come to think of it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 18, 2012, 02:33:56 PM
I've never seen Fahdiz and al-Bashir in the same place at the same time, come to think of it.

:ph34r:

LaCroix

now, i could be wrong, but i believe grumbler is saying that although acts of genocide occur, only an exceptional few wish to commit them--with everyone else simply following the crowd that forms around the idea. in your example, rwanda, i highly doubt every one of your family men who hacked apart their tutsi neighbors did so out of an innate desire for genocide. they hacked away because they were convinced by their friends and those they listened to that the tutsi were cockroaches, enemies of the state, vile people, etc. etc. who deserved death. the difference is subtle, but it is still there