News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama considering steep nuclear arms cuts

Started by Kleves, February 15, 2012, 11:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on February 15, 2012, 11:52:53 PM
The US will never achieve that level of space tech.  You guys have given up, and it will be up to others to decide if mankind ever gets to the stars.

Nah, we just need some competition. I'm sure NASA will get a shitload of dough when China gets to the moon.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on February 16, 2012, 07:59:26 AM
Quote from: grumbler on February 16, 2012, 07:34:59 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 15, 2012, 10:49:09 PM
This would likely hit the USAF/Navy the most, but I am in favor.  We don't really need more than a few hundred, if even that.  And being that this refers to "deployed", I imagine we would still have plenty in storage, if needed for alien invasion or rogue asteroids.

It does create some interesting tradeoffs, though.  Obviously, you don't want to have 300 warheads on 30 missiles - that's too few baskets for your eggs.  OTOH, how do the two sides verify that a lower warhead count per missile has actually been implemented?

The notion that the Russians are not cheating on these easily cheat-able treaties is ridicoulous.

Thats their economic loss
██████
██████
██████

Faeelin

Are we expecting imminent nuclear war to break out with anyone? Worrying if we'd be capable of decapitating China and the Russians in a first strike seems a bit silly.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Faeelin on February 16, 2012, 08:41:40 AM
Are we expecting imminent nuclear war to break out with anyone? Worrying if we'd be capable of decapitating China and the Russians in a first strike seems a bit silly.

I take it you weren't a Boy Scout.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Faeelin believes in getting into a nuclear exchange with the nuclear weapons you have, not the nuclear weapons you wish you had.

grumbler

Agree.  A competent leader plans to allow potential enemies to annihilate the leader's nation rather than bother with silly things like winning the war per-emptively.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 15, 2012, 11:27:02 PM
Once the asteroid mass-drivers are in orbit, we won't need any nukes.  :ph34r:

An asteroid leaving the belt would take year or so to reach the Earth.  That's not much of a deterrent.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Would any other nation in the world survive a nukuler detonation on their capitol? I don't see Russia or China, at least in their present governmental forms.
PDH!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Neil on February 15, 2012, 12:00:46 PM
I never understood why the peaceniks were in favour of nuclear disarmament, seeing as if we ever did get rid of the atom bomb, we'd be back to fighting total wars between the Great Powers again.

might knock some sense in the peaceniks :p

Grey Fox

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 16, 2012, 02:21:11 PM
Would any other nation in the world survive a nukuler detonation on their capitol? I don't see Russia or China, at least in their present governmental forms.

Australia maybe. It's big place and some place might not notice that Canberra is gone.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Most, unless it's a very small country.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 16, 2012, 02:47:43 PM

Australia maybe. It's big place and some place might not notice that Canberra is gone.

Belgium :p, We've had practice the last 1.5 years

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: mongers on February 16, 2012, 02:49:22 PM

Most, unless it's a very small country.
I do not ean survive in terms of cultural and population extinction.  Would American Democracy endure if NYC or washington were nuked tomorrow? Would the PRC suffer severe turmoil if Beijing or a major financial and industrial center like Shanghai were wrecked?
PDH!

mongers

Do you really think Americans are that pathetic ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Go back to Woodstock.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)