Obama considering steep nuclear arms cuts

Started by Kleves, February 15, 2012, 11:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I am shocked that president Hussein disarms America.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 15, 2012, 12:06:29 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 15, 2012, 11:55:22 AM
This include tactical nukes as well as the big strategic bombs?

The vast, vast majority--if not all, IIRC--of our tactical battlefield weapons were decommissioned a while ago.

Damn.  I am: out of date.  I was thinking of early Bush Administration consideations about expanding the number of tactical warheads as some sort of plan to make them 'conventional'.
PDH!

Razgovory

I remember that.  They floated that trial balloon.  That was the talk of WMDs was still hot and all sorts of dumb ideas were being floated around.  There was another one to classify Cuba as terrorist state or something like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

NOOOOOOO

Romney 2012 everybody.  Spread the message.  I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in thousands of nuclear warheads.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Kleves on February 15, 2012, 11:15:02 AM
Why not just abolish nuclear weapons? After all, you can't hug your children with nuclear arms. I am sure that if Obama gets rid of the US nuclear arsenal, countries like China, Russia, Pakistan, North Korea, Iran, etc. will follow suit.

And then schools will have all the money they need, while the Air Force has to hold a bake sale in order to buy a bomber!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2012, 01:08:34 PM
NOOOOOOO

Romney 2012 everybody.  Spread the message.  I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in thousands of nuclear warheads.
Don't you mean Santorum 2012?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

FunkMonk

NOOOOOOO

:weep:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 15, 2012, 01:45:38 PM
And then schools will have all the money they need, while the Air Force has to hold a bake sale in order to buy a bomber!

he he

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on February 15, 2012, 01:49:36 PM
NOOOOOOO

Don't you mean Santorum 2012?

Too good to be true.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

There are very few tactical nukes left.  All of the ALCMs were converted to conventional payloads, the B-57 depth bomb is gone, the SSM nukes are gone...

Just a few air-droppable bombs, if that, in the US inventory.  PGMs have a higher Pk without the storage and admin costs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 15, 2012, 12:02:48 PM

Only that 300 bombs in the 1950s weren't enough;  maintaining enough weapons to ensure first-strike survivability and maintain a positive retaliatory capability is no longer a strategic concern.

I'm generally the peacenik here, but is that really not a strategic concern anymore? Russia has a lot of weapons, and China could build them. I realize that no one has an incentive to strike us first, but why leave open the possibility?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

What about the nuclear AAMs?  Those are essential to defending against the threat posed by the VVS' new "Blinder" bombers.
Kinemalogue

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2012, 01:59:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 15, 2012, 01:45:38 PM

he he

I think about half the teachers at my high school had that bumper sticker. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on February 15, 2012, 03:24:35 PM

There are very few tactical nukes left.  All of the ALCMs were converted to conventional payloads, the B-57 depth bomb is gone, the SSM nukes are gone...

Just a few air-droppable bombs, if that, in the US inventory.  PGMs have a higher Pk without the storage and admin costs.

I hope they don't get rid of that bunker buster tac nuke....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on February 15, 2012, 11:55:18 AM
He wasn't hugged with nuclear arms so he is going to cut his own and deep. :(
:lol: That's a great line!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point