Elie Wiesel calls out Mitt Romney on dead Jew baptisms.

Started by jimmy olsen, February 14, 2012, 07:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on February 14, 2012, 07:53:05 PM
dropped the whole 'Jews killed Jesus' stuff, but in some ways this could be seen as actively rewriting the Jewish faith out of history. 

OK on the continuum from neutrality to what the Nazis it isn't very far along at all, but it's a bit nearer to the Saudis bulldozing all remaining archaeological evidence of Jewish settlements in the Arabian peninsula

:mellow:

In what ways could it be seen as actively rewriting the Jewish faith out of history?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2012, 07:55:25 PM
dropped the whole 'Jews killed Jesus' stuff, but in some ways this could be seen as actively rewriting the Jewish faith out of history. 

OK on the continuum from neutrality to what the Nazis it isn't very far along at all, but it's a bit nearer to the Saudis bulldozing all remaining archaeological evidence of Jewish settlements in the Arabian peninsula

In what ways could it be seen as actively rewriting the Jewish faith out of history?

The way I described.

edit:
really the only valid answer to the question, it to ask our elderly nazi hunter what he feels about that view.

I'm just guessing having had large members of your extended family murdered because of their faith/ethnicity and places of worship, records, religious books and cemeteries destroyed, then this might be seen as a continuation of that process in some way.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

So, the Mormon baptism of Mr. and Mrs. Weisel destroyed evidence of their Jewishness? :unsure:

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 14, 2012, 07:25:22 PM
Don't think Mitt can do anything about this. 

Apart from having been a Bishop in an organisation that does stuff like that and not resigning there isn't much he can do about that. But he can do something about this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093241/Mitt-Romneys-family-baptized-Ann-Romneys-atheist-father-Mormon-church-year-AFTER-death.html

QuoteMore questions are being raised about presidential candidate Mitt Romney's religion after it was revealed that he helped baptise his adamantly atheist father-in-law years after the man had died.

Edward Roderick Davies was Ann Romney's father and died in 1992 after living as a staunch atheist all his life.

Recently-discovered records show that, in keeping with their controversial tradition of posthumously baptising non-Mormons, a ceremony was held to invite Mr Davies into the Church of Latter Day Saints one year after he died.

The practice of performing baptisms for the dead has drawn criticism after the Mormon church began doing so for well-known Catholics- including former popes- and Jews- including Holocaust survivors.

According to the religion's official website, the baptisms are seen as a way to offer those souls an option of joining the Church even once they have died. A key point is that it is seen as an option- as the souls are believed to have the ability to either accept or reject the baptism.

Mitt's wife Ann converted to Mormonism when she was 17 years old, shortly after she had started dating her husband-to-be.

Because Mitt was in France doing his missionary work at the time, his father George Romney helped usher Ann into the religion and arranged for missionaries to teach her about the faith.

Edward Davies, shown here in his youth, was a staunch atheist and believed organized religions to be 'hogwash'

Shortly after Ann converted, her two brothers followed suit and converted as well.

Mr Davies died in 1992 and his wife died a year later. When she was on her deathbed, however, she asked her sons to help her convert to Mormonism, and she was baptised just before she died.

Unlike his wife, Mr Davies had no such last-minute requests for religious salvation.

He remained true to his convictions and considered organized religion 'drudgery' and 'hogwash'.

Ann's brother Roderick is quoted as saying that their father 'considered people who were religious to be weak in the knees'.

His well-known distaste for religion didn't stop members of his family from baptising him by proxy a year after he died, however.

The proxy baptisms are typically done with a member of the dead subject's family standing in for them at the ceremony and going through the actions on the deceased person's behalf.

Because all three of Mr Davies' children had been long-time members of the religion at that point, any of them could have been the proxy.

Little else is known about the specifics of the 'special family meeting' which resulted in Mr Davies' baptism, except that it took place in the famed Salt Lake Temple in Utah on September 13, 1993. Whether or not Mitt Romney was present is unknown, but it seems likely that his wife Ann certainly was.

The Romney family's pride in converting members of the Davies family to their religion is well-documented.

When Mitt was disheartened after having a difficult time converting the French to Mormonism while he was doing his missionary work, his father George wrote him a letter saying that their work with the Davies family was more important anyhow.

'I was thrilled to stand in for you in connection with (Ann's brother) Jim's baptism,' the elder Mr Romney wrote on March 6, 1967.

'This makes two converts here that are certainly yours so don't worry about your difficulty in converting those Frenchmen!

'I am sure you can appreciate that Ann and Jim are each worth a dozen of them, at least to us.'

So, yes, If you think it is ok to baptize dead atheists into mormonism I don't think you object to baptizing dead joos into mormonism.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Personally, I'm cool with members of any and every faith letting me into their heaven.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 14, 2012, 09:33:42 PM
I can see how it's pretty offensive.

I think it is a lot less offensive than the default of damning nonbelievers to hell.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Which is more offensive...this or marines posing in front of SS banners? :hmm: Let's ask Berkut.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

I don't see what the big deal is.  It seems like Mormons are giving people a second chance in case they got the whole religion thing wrong during their lives.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2012, 07:43:54 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 14, 2012, 07:41:25 PM
I could see how some Jewish people would object, it could be seen as a denial of their faith.

Newsflash mongers: eveything about Christianity is a denial of their faith.

Yes, but this is in a way an active denial of their faith, modern Christians claim to be tolerant and for the most part have dropped the whole 'Jews killed Jesus' stuff, but in some ways this could be seen as actively rewriting the Jewish faith out of history. 

They aren't Christians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2012, 10:26:44 PM

I think it is a lot less offensive than the default of damning nonbelievers to hell.
Yeah but that doesn't exist in Mormonism.  I think the Jewish view would be that they weren't damned to hell and died for their Jewishness only for that to be kind of desecrated after the event.  It's the spiritual equivalent of exhuming your nan from a Jewish cemetery.

Also Mormon's don't have hell, they've got Perdition but I think there are 6 people in there - like Judas.  They've a very attractively wide and liberal idea of redemption.  Their afterlife is a multi-tiered heaven.  The lowest level was so glorious that Joseph Smith said if people saw it they'd kill themselves to get there.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 14, 2012, 10:41:01 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2012, 10:26:44 PM

Yeah but that doesn't exist in Mormonism.  I think the Jewish view would be that they weren't damned to hell and died for their Jewishness only for that to be kind of desecrated after the event.  It's the spiritual equivalent of exhuming your nan from a Jewish cemetery.

Also Mormon's don't have hell, they've got Perdition but I think there are 6 people in there - like Judas.  They've a very attractively wide and liberal idea of redemption.  Their afterlife is a multi-tiered heaven.  The lowest level was so glorious that Joseph Smith said if people saw it they'd kill themselves to get there.

Then they are grabbing everyone up to heaven anyway.  Not something to actively care about let alone get vocally offended unless one wants to score political points.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on February 14, 2012, 07:58:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2012, 07:55:25 PM

The way I described.

edit:
really the only valid answer to the question, it to ask our elderly nazi hunter what he feels about that view.

I'm just guessing having had large members of your extended family murdered because of their faith/ethnicity and places of worship, records, religious books and cemeteries destroyed, then this might be seen as a continuation of that process in some way.

Perhaps in an emotional way but certainly not from a rational point of view.  Sure you might not like a group of people telling you that you had it wrong all along - but to equate people who are still taking steps to secure your "eternal salvation" as equivalent to Nazis who wanted to wipe out your existence? :mellow: