Elie Wiesel calls out Mitt Romney on dead Jew baptisms.

Started by jimmy olsen, February 14, 2012, 07:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'm always surprised that he's still alive.

Don't think Mitt can do anything about this. 

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/14/10407989-wiesel-to-romney-tell-mormons-to-stop-baptizing-dead-jews

QuoteWiesel to Romney: Tell Mormons to stop baptizing dead Jews

Prominent Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel has called on Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney to "speak to his own church" and ask them to stop performing posthumous proxy baptisms on Jews.

The demand, reported on the Huffington Post website, comes after members of the Mormon church, also known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS), baptized the dead parents of famed Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal, an act that provoked a storm of criticism and led to an apology from the church.

The site also reported that Wiesel's name, as well as those of his father and maternal grandfather, had been entered into a database for the deceased, sometimes an early part of the process leading toward posthumous baptism. The members involved apparently were unaware that the Nobel Peace Prize winner was still alive.

"I think it's scandalous. Not only objectionable, it's scandalous," Wiesel, 83, told the HuffPost.

Wiesel told the site that the situation has gotten so out of hand that the most prominent Mormon in the country should speak out about it.

Immediate condemnation
"I wonder if as a candidate for the presidency Mitt Romney is aware of what his church is doing. I hope that if he hears about this that he will speak up," Wiesel said.

The Wiesenthal case brought immediate condemnation from the Jewish community.

"We are outraged that such insensitive actions continue in the Mormon temples," Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Los Angeles-based Wiesenthal Center, said in a statement on the group's website. "Such actions make a mockery of the many meetings with the top leadership of the Mormon church."

LDS officials in Salt Lake City were quick to apologize Monday, telling the Salt Lake Tribune that the Utah-based faith "sincerely regret(s) that the actions of an individual member ... led to the inappropriate submission of these names," which were "clearly against the policy of the church."

"We consider this a serious breach of our protocol," spokesman Scott Trotter said in a statement, "and we have suspended indefinitely this person's ability to access our genealogy records."

Moral obligation
In the practice, known as "baptism for the dead," living people stand in for the deceased to offer that person a chance to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the afterlife, according to an account in the Tribune. Mormons believe it is their moral obligation to do the temple rituals, while those on the other side can choose whether to accept the action or not.

According to the HuffPost, negotiations between Mormon and Jewish leaders led to an agreement in 1995 for the church to stop the posthumous baptism of all Jews, except in the case of direct ancestors of Mormons, but some Mormons failed to adhere to the agreement. Wiesel was among a group of Jewish leaders who campaigned against the practice and prompted a 2010 pact by which the Mormon Church promised to at least prevent proxy baptism requests for Holocaust victims. Wiesel said that proxy baptisms have been performed on behalf of 650,000 Holocaust dead.
advertisement

The Huffington Post said it had reached out via email to the Romney campaign for comment. In an email accidentally sent to the reporter, spokeswoman Gail Gitcho suggested that the campaign ignore the request.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

The way to get the Mormons to stop doing this is to have Congress threaten to take away the church's tax-exempt status.  Suddenly, by amazing coincidence, there will be a revelation from God to the Prophet Thomas Monson that Mormons no longer need to conduct baptisms of the dead.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

You really think it's a big deal?  Sounds like nothing to me.  It's not like they're digging up Elie's parents and sloshing water on their skeletons is it?  What's the harm if a bunch of white guys in long johns proclaim this or that Jew baptized?

Caliga

I agree, but for some reason a lot of people get really offended when the Mormons 'baptize' their ancestors.  A branch of my family is Mormon so naturally lots of my ancestors were baptised but... I don't give a rat's ass. :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2012, 07:31:56 PM
You really think it's a big deal?  Sounds like nothing to me.  It's not like they're digging up Elie's parents and sloshing water on their skeletons is it?  What's the harm if a bunch of white guys in long johns proclaim this or that Jew baptized?

I could see how some Jewish people would object, it could be seen as a denial of their faith.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

But the Jews believe that the Mormon religion is bullshit, so why do they care when someone performs a ritual they see as meaningless? :hmm:

Caliga

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on February 14, 2012, 07:41:25 PM
I could see how some Jewish people would object, it could be seen as a denial of their faith.

Newsflash mongers: eveything about Christianity is a denial of their faith.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on February 14, 2012, 07:37:18 PM
I agree, but for some reason a lot of people get really offended when the Mormons 'baptize' their ancestors.  A branch of my family is Mormon so naturally lots of my ancestors were baptised but... I don't give a rat's ass. :hmm:
Yeah, if your an atheist you don't care and if religious surely you believe that your relative's beliefs in life are what matters and what God will judge.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2012, 07:43:54 PM

I thought Christianity was more like Judiasm gone in the "wrong" direction?  In that many of the original Christians thought Jesus was a prophesied Jewish "savior", while most of the Jewish faith just thought "nah, not that dude"?

Neil

Some people get annoyed when the memory of their parents is co-opted by a dangerous cult.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2012, 07:43:54 PM

Yes, but this is in a way an active denial of their faith, modern Christians claim to be tolerant and for the most part have dropped the whole 'Jews killed Jesus' stuff, but in some ways this could be seen as actively rewriting the Jewish faith out of history. 

OK on the continuum from neutrality to what the Nazis it isn't very far along at all, but it's a bit nearer to the Saudis bulldozing all remaining archaeological evidence of Jewish settlements in the Arabian peninsula
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 14, 2012, 07:45:51 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 14, 2012, 07:37:18 PM
Yeah, if your an atheist you don't care and if religious surely you believe that your relative's beliefs in life are what matters and what God will judge.

That only applies if you somehow think their cult baptisms have a real effect on you in the afterlife.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers