News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Statisticians, to me!

Started by Berkut, February 13, 2012, 03:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

grumbler tricked Dguller. He knew that Dguller would have to prove him wrong and thus give the answer berk was looking for. Crafty :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Gbeagle

Quote from: grumbler on February 13, 2012, 03:40:10 PM
5 games = c. 19%
4 games = c. 25%
3 games =  c. 31%
2 games = c. 20%
1 game = c. 5%

That's be 2 million internet dollars, please.

This seems quite wrong to me.  I'm just running this with a random number generator and about a million trials (since its trivial this way), so not an analytical solution. What I get matches DGuller's numbers within the statistical uncertainty.

Games Won  | Prob
0   |   0.00092
1   |   0.01985
2   |   0.12834
3   |   0.33430
4   |   0.37231
5   |   0.14429

DGuller

Since I am an actuary, I have to give one word of caution about the above calculations.  We assumed that each game result is independent from the other.  Realistically speaking, if Arizona loses the first 4 games, then odds are that they may not be 83% favorites to win the last one.  I'd be careful before wagering my kneecaps on these calculations.

Berkut

True, and I am sure the rpi forecast would change after each game.

And those numbers are mostly bullshit anyway. But thanks for crunching them for me.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Statistically, how much do the odds of winning all five games drop if we lose the first one against Wazzu?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

frunk

Quote from: DGuller on February 13, 2012, 04:10:27 PM
Since I am an actuary, I have to give one word of caution about the above calculations.  We assumed that each game result is independent from the other.  Realistically speaking, if Arizona loses the first 4 games, then odds are that they may not be 83% favorites to win the last one.  I'd be careful before wagering my kneecaps on these calculations.

What you can say with some confidence is that 3-4 wins is pretty likely, and 2-5 wins is very likely (for statistically normal chances of likely).  I don't think you have to worry about 0 wins.

grumbler

Quote from: Gbeagle on February 13, 2012, 04:03:28 PM
This seems quite wrong to me.  I'm just running this with a random number generator and about a million trials (since its trivial this way), so not an analytical solution. What I get matches DGuller's numbers within the statistical uncertainty.

Games Won  | Prob
0   |   0.00092
1   |   0.01985
2   |   0.12834
3   |   0.33430
4   |   0.37231
5   |   0.14429

Since my numbers were made up, of course they are wrong.  But people like to prove me wrong, so they had to do the calculations Berkut asked for (and the stats guys refused to do because it was too hard) to do so.  Berkut wins, and I don't are about being wrong, so this seems like a win to me as well.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on February 13, 2012, 05:20:22 PM
Quote from: Gbeagle on February 13, 2012, 04:03:28 PM

Games Won  | Prob
0   |   0.00092
1   |   0.01985
2   |   0.12834
3   |   0.33430
4   |   0.37231
5   |   0.14429

Since my numbers were made up, of course they are wrong.  But people like to prove me wrong, so they had to do the calculations Berkut asked for (and the stats guys refused to do because it was too hard) to do so.  Berkut wins, and I don't are about being wrong, so this seems like a win to me as well.  :P
I'm quick, but not that quick.  I didn't do those calculations in the 1 minute gap between our posts.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2012, 05:31:49 PM
Dont take that away from Grumbler.
I didn't even get am honorable mention for coming up with it first :( :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

1 Arizona Sucks
2 Lute Olsen sucks dicks
3 Arizona sucks
4 Arizona football sucks. RICH ROD? BWHAHAHAHA
5 Arizona sucks

Your welcome.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on February 13, 2012, 04:15:53 PM
Statistically, how much do the odds of winning all five games drop if we lose the first one against Wazzu?

Did you mean to ask "how much do the odds change if we lose the first one against Wazzu?".  If so:

4 Wins: 0.24045764
3 Wins: 0.45974844
2 Wins: 0.25150884
1 Win: 0.04590644
0 Wins: 0.00237864

If you win the first game just shift the win count up by one.  Of course DGuller's warning about non-independent events is well taken, so take these with even more salt then the first set.

fhdz

Quote from: Berkut on February 13, 2012, 04:15:53 PM

:lol:
and the horse you rode in on