Main Menu

Women - still their own worst enemies

Started by Brazen, February 13, 2012, 07:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2012, 08:09:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 13, 2012, 04:30:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2012, 03:04:18 PM
Yeah, I think reporting is the main reason for discrepancy.  Also, chicks don't hit as hard.

...to the point where some instances would be a bit 'iffy' in terms of being what I would consider domestic violence, e.g. my wife slaps me on the arm if I tease her but I think it's cute.

Yeah.  Most guys aren't going to report a slap on the face to the police.  Perhaps part of it is machismo but another part is that men are simply stronger then women.  A woman slapping a man isn't likely to do much damage, but if a guy backhands his wife he could do some serious damage to her.  Of course that's not always true.  Some women are pretty strong and can beat the crap out of their husbands or boyfriends.  But usually not.

Dont underestimate a 5' 3", 110 lbs woman. Add alcohol and/or jacked up on some shit, you can have your hands full.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

rufweed

I'd be afraid to whack someone I was in a relationship with. They have access to your stuff ...and to you sleeping.

Eddie Teach

If you "whacked" them you wouldn't have to worry about all that...  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

rufweed

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 13, 2012, 08:56:16 PM
If you "whacked" them you wouldn't have to worry about all that...  :ph34r:

If you take that meaning of the word, probably got a whoooole 'nother set of problems coming your way.

garbon

Quote from: rufweed on February 13, 2012, 08:50:37 PM
I'd be afraid to whack someone I was in a relationship with. They have access to your stuff ...and to you sleeping.

That's why it is important to maintain personal space. He doesn't belong living in my apt.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2012, 03:08:25 PM
Quote from: dps on February 13, 2012, 03:01:50 PM
A lot of reports that I've read suggest that women are every bit as likely to commit domestic abuse as men, but men are even more reluctant to report being assaulted by their wives than women are to report being assaulted by their husbands.  And women are more likely to slap, rather than strike with a closed fist, so they are less likely to leave visible injuries that will attrack attention from 3rd parties.

You have a source on that?  Because I've never read that (quite the opposite really), and I do a lot of work in that field.

Not really, I read it in seveal news articles back when domestic violence was first becoming a widely reported thing, say 25-30 years ago--I don't remember this long after the fact which papers or newsmags I read it in.

Or given CC's comment, maybe you Canadians just have your women more under control than American men do.  Or you're just in denial about the bruises all over your body.

CountDeMoney

Bullshit.  I've been a cop and a bail bondsman, and everybody beats the shit out of one another, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

Ideologue

A lot of reports that I've read suggest that women are every bit as likely to commit domestic abuse as men, but men are even more reluctant to report being assaulted by their wives than women are to report being assaulted by their husbands.  And women are more likely to slap, rather than strike with a closed fist, so they are less likely to leave visible injuries that will attrack attention from 3rd parties.

You have a source on that?  Because I've never read that (quite the opposite really), and I do a lot of work in that field.

Serious stuff, perhaps.

But I would be amazed if the actual assault/battery rate for women viz. men was not significantly higher than that for men viz. women.  Female A+B is as unremarkable as breathing air.  A lot of women don't think twice about slapping or hitting their partner at a comparatively low level of intensity (that they often misjudge).  Or maybe that was just Korea.

Of course, in Canada, you don't have prior consent, so a kiss goodnight is rape.  But I mean in America, where things aren't retarded.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 13, 2012, 11:55:59 PM
A lot of women don't think twice about slapping or hitting their partner at a comparatively low level of intensity (that they often misjudge).  Or maybe that was just Korea.

:lol:

That shit usually ends when you hit them back, dummy.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2012, 10:45:03 PM
Bullshit.  I've been a cop and a bail bondsman, and everybody beats the shit out of one another, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

Bullshit right back at you.  Men are violent at a rate well in excess of women.  Now men will easily assault other men as they assault women, but we don't get all that many women in for offences of violence.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2012, 12:34:29 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 13, 2012, 11:55:59 PM
A lot of women don't think twice about slapping or hitting their partner at a comparatively low level of intensity (that they often misjudge).  Or maybe that was just Korea.

:lol:

That shit usually ends when you hit them back, dummy.

Bingo.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2012, 02:46:30 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 13, 2012, 02:14:06 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2012, 02:11:58 PM

That's because women usually do not beat men.

That is oh so very untrue.

Except it is true.  Female on male domestic violence does happen - I've prosecuted some cases, but it is rare.  I just got back from my day in domestic violence court and there was perhaps one woman on the docket.

Anecdotally, I've see more cases of DV in female same sex relationships than in male same sex relationships, but I don't know if I can draw any wider conclusions from that observation - it may be that lesbians are more likely to be in longer-term relationships than gays.

Don't you think that in both cases (female on male violence and male on male violence) the issue is influenced by the reporting rates and not simply actual occurence rates per se. Men who are being beaten by women often fail to report because they are ashamed/embarassed, and gay males probably view it more in terms of a brawl. Plus in both cases, the police are more likely to ignore the matter.

Now, there is a much greater awareness among female victims that one should not put up with violence, so you have high reporting rates among women in both types of relationships.

Martinus

I read a number of articles/editorials in serious newspapers that quote reporting rates as a large source of discrepancy - because men are embarassed to report and they are often looked down upon by the police even if they do. Now, I am not sure about the occurence rates being equal but they definitely are different than would be apparent from reporting rates.

Plus it is generally more socially acceptable to use "minor violence" against men (such as slapping, throwing single punches and the like) than vice versa.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2012, 03:04:18 PM
Also, chicks don't hit as hard.

I've met Mr. and Mrs. Barrister Boy and I'm fairly sure Mr. Barrister Boy would be toast.  :ph34r:

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2012, 09:42:57 PM
Quote from: rufweed on February 13, 2012, 08:50:37 PM

That's why it is important to maintain personal space. He doesn't belong living in my apt.

True.  :bowler: